Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
August 25th 2015
Published: August 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

The birthplace of the Italian Renaissance. Florence was the most important city during the 14th century, the driving force to lead Europe out of the dark age, the innovative of the Florentine also financed the development of industry and many historic events all over Europe, with its prosperity Florence left behind many wonderful artwork and master piece for us to appreciate! The main sight beside the Must-See Ponte Vecchio bridge and the world class Galleria degli Uffizi museum, the most tourist congested area is the Piazza della Signoria, the Piazza del Duomo and the Piazza Santa Croce y Basilica. You should start early to avoid the noon day sun, and hide in any cafe or back to your room for a siesta during the grilling hour of the day. The Piazzale Michelangelo on the small hill top at the south bank of the Arno River probably your best hangout before sunset. Or you could go further up 7km to the suburb in Fiesole, where you will find a more deeper view for the city. Florence no doubt is beautiful, but there is just too many people and no way you can got away with the summer tourist crowd, so...get up early and stay away from the main piazza if possible. beside the tourist crowd, Florence now infested with begger, there always one station outside a supermarket, cafe, next to ATM machine. My last visited in Florence is more than 20 years ago, the place hadn't change much, but now there are much more African and Chinese live here, you might still smell the leather while wandering around the area near Via Sant'Antonino and the market area, but many faces are Chinese and African nowaday. I have no surprise that the Chinese run restaurant business, disguised as Japanese to open a sushi bar, run an Italian cafe, own many mini market, but here I even saw they has got their hand into the public toilet business, like they did in GREAT CHINA, put up a entrance fee plate and sit outside play with their phone! I heard there are big population of Chinese in Prato a little north from Florence, luckily they behave so far not as arrogant and superior like when they invaded Laos and Nepal. I wonder why...how come I couldn't immigrate to Italy that easy like those Chinese??? I found a great pizza place run by alocal family near my stay, and I developed my pizza menu and try different favor each day, Margherita...Napoli...Calzone...Florentina...but my favorite is Mascarpone Speck, Mozzarella and another soft cheese and lay spicy ham on top after the pizza straight from the oven, woaaaahhhh...yamyam!!!! While wandering around I find some interesting sight, many street sign had been modified or redecorated...in a humor way, mean this is a tolerated city with an open mind.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Palazzo VecchioPalazzo Vecchio
Palazzo Vecchio

Piazza della Signoria
Statua Equestre di Cosimo IStatua Equestre di Cosimo I
Statua Equestre di Cosimo I

Piazza della Signoria
Fountain of NeptuneFountain of Neptune
Fountain of Neptune

Piazza della Signoria
Loggia dei LanziLoggia dei Lanzi
Loggia dei Lanzi

Piazza della Signoria
Basilica di Santa CroceBasilica di Santa Croce
Basilica di Santa Croce

Piazza Santa Croce y Basilica
Statue of Dante AlighieriStatue of Dante Alighieri
Statue of Dante Alighieri

Piazza Santa Croce y Basilica


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb