Day 26


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 13th 2015
Published: June 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Milan for Florence today and it's an easy journey on the fast train, less than two hours.

Get to the room, checked in and we go for a walk.

Florence is different again as we find the small cobblestone streets and tiny footpaths packed with tourists on foot and noticeably less traffic.

The streets are stacked with market stalls and the order of the day is Leather.

The leather stalls, markets and shops are in every corner of this city.

We had a bit of luck today as it was the celebration of St John the baptist the patron Saint of Florence.

The parade is a re-enactment of a football match "Calico Storico" from 1530 when four neighbourhoods would play a combination of soccer, rugby and wrestling.

It's fantastic as they marched pass, on the way to the game, all dressed in there period costumes.

Continuing our discovery walk we figure out it will be a lot easier to get around here as it is more compact, but still very busy.

Back to the hotel and up to the rooftop terrace to sample some local wine, as that is what the Tuscany region is famous for. We get a view of the main dome of the church from here.

Out for dinner for fresh pasta and seafood, was the best meal on the trip so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb