Italy beats Germany!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 7th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our last night in Florence was a blast. We watched the World Cup match between Italy and Germany in a square less than a block from our hotel. Mind you, before Europe, Pam could care less about soccer. Now, we've totally made our plans around watching the games. Our Rome trip was planned for Monday, so that we'd be able to watch the game on Tuesday!

Hundreds of people gathered to watch the game on a large screen. Most people were wearing blue- the color of the Italy jerseys. Others were wearing the colors of the country's flag-red, green and white. The game was close throughout. Going into overtime, neither team seemed to have an advantage. It was fun to watch as the Italian fans made their comments and gestures- cursing the coach for putting Del Piero in (who later scored), chanting "Italia, Italia...". I'm not sure who the greater fans are- the Spaniards or the Italians- but they are definitely neck to neck.

Pam and I joined the festivities after the first Italian goal- screaming, jumping up and down, waving flags. Then, after the second goal- the crowd went crazy. People poured out their water bottles on the crowd, hugs, kisses, gleeful praises to God. Germans in the crowd, sad, numb, in shock.

I am looking forward to the Italy and France final. Pam will be on her way home, I'll be back in Spain. ..Not sure who to pull for. France has my favorite player, Zidane (he is like the Magic Johnson of soccer. He can do everything, but is unselfish, and definitely a winner.)

BUT, this past week, I have definitely fallen in love with Italy, AND, I am half Italian. Oh the dilemmas of life!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th July 2006

=)
You both look like you have had a great time... thanks again for sharing =)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb