Reminiscing in Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 25th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Italy is having an early season heatwave with temperatures above 30° for the past week and no sign of abating. So our travelling day from Assisi to Florence was going to be hot. We have had a great two days in Bastia, a town near Assisi, and our hotel was absolutely fabulous. We had great hosts who made us very welcome and we had a lot of fun chatting with them at every opportunity.
Travelling to Florence we passed through the district in which we stayed for a week exactly ten years ago. So as we passed the well-remembered turn off to San Rocca a Pilli we just had to detour. All the memories came spilling back. We even noticed the little red private letter box where one of our daughters posted her post cards to friends back home. Retracing our steps we passed the Coop Supermarket and out into the countryside to check out the villa we rented. What a great feeling we had knowing we had stayed in such a fabulous setting. More memories: the farmer in his singlet who gave directions when we were desperate, the villa attendant who arrived each morning to check the pool, the farmers who drove their tractors slowly home after a day in the fields, grain ready for harvesting and sunflowers in bloom. A place where dreams come true.
Next stop was Siena, a favourite Italian city of ours. We had previously spent some time there and we just had to go back. The streets we quieter today but by next weekend, the day of the Palio, the town will be absolutely buzzing. We decided on having lunch in Piazza del Campo, the site of the Palio. It was already in preparation mode for the famous horse race. Clay was laid over the cobbles, barricades were being put up and seating was being prepared. Our final stop on this pilgrimage was a visit to the Duomo, a place not visited last time. Like many churches in Italy this one was breathtaking. The inlaid marble floor, frescoes, paintings, and hand written musical manuscripts on display made the visit well worthwhile. Outwardly there are many similarities between the Duomos of Orvieto and Siena, especially the use of white and black marble.
We left this part of Tuscany with no regrets of having spent time on a return visit. The memories we already had have been strengthened and now it is time to move on.
Last time we drove into Florence we got really lost and then couldn’t find a park for the car. All told it was an awful day. Today, with our navigator, Miss GPS, we arrived at the hotel front door without missing a beat. We have our local bus tickets ready for an early start tomorrow on our excursion into Florence and its fabulous collections of art.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb