Big Dave (Day 75)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 27th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Decided to spend my day revisiting some of the sites that we hit on the tour yesterday, just at my own pace. Returned first to the incredible Duomo. I really do admire the artwork put into the outer facade. One of the more beautiful churches I have seen this trip. The style of the nearby Baptistry and belltower are quite similar and are also quite a spectacle. Particularly the golden doors to the Baptistry which Michaelengelo said could be the doors to heaven themselves. Unfortunately, there were massive lines for these three things (like everything else in Florence this time of year) so I did not make it inside. Pretty high praise.

Walked back over to the Uffizi which has a pretty cool setup. I did not go in as that would violate the rule I made after Paris of no more museums. I'll stick to the free art shown in the churches around the city. Was pretty exhausted after walking around in the sun all day but was able to get one more run in during the afternoon (4 days in a row). Relaxed out in the hostel courtyard which is quite nice, reading my new John Grisham book. Been burning through books the last month. Something nice to do on a train or when it is too hot during the day.

Headed back out in the early evening to the Academia. Also, known as the place where that David statue is. Timed it right and only had a short wait in line which was nice. The museum really has very little to offer besides the David statue (at least in my humble opinion) but the statue does make the price of admission worth it. Just one of those things you need to see in person to appreciate. The statue is about 17 or 18 feet tall I believe and what is even crazier is that it was carved out of one block of marble. It is in a small rotunda so I did enjoy how there were constantly about 15-20 people behind the statue staring up at Davids ass ha. I also thought about getting the postcard that shows only Davids genitals but instead just laughed and kept going. Maybe some other time.

Spent the evening relaxing in the courtyard drinking some cheap wine from one of the nearby stores. There are a handful of places right next to our hostel that sell wine with names like Plenty Wine, Heaven Wine and other classics. They all offer these ridiculous 4 bottles for 10 euro specials and also have student discounts ha. So that's what we did. The three of us including Laura (SW Wisconsin) and Pegah (Toronto). Nice little evening especially considering there isn't too too much to do in this city in the evening. Doesn't bother me though. Ciao


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

pegahpegah
pegah

pegah and adriano
manman
man

this guy was the man
nightnight
night

duomo by night, the only way


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb