Christmas In Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
December 23rd 2008
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Florence 2Florence 2Florence 2

The outside of The Duomo
Florence - ahh yes, the capital of Tuscany, home of David and our home this Christmas.

One of the most memorable highlights for any visitor to Florence, has to be the first glimpse of The Duomo.

It is an absolutely amazing building. So much bigger and grander than we expected. Luckily we were staying very close to it so we could spend at much time gazing at it as needed!

Highlights of Florence included -

The Duomo of course. The history of the building and artwork inside was fascinating.

The Ponte Vecchio (Old Bridge) across the Arno River.

The Uffizi gallery. Absolutely amazing to see some of the works that I studied in high school art history lessons. Makes all those hours looking at slides on the projector and learning to spell names like Parmigianino, Botticelli and Piero della Francesca seem worthwhile.

The Accademia. Michelangelo's David - woohoo. Looks so much more impressive in real life.

Not quite as memorable was our day trip to Siena on Christmas day. Unfortunately it rained. Absolutely nothing was open and all the transport was on restricted hours - fair enough considering it was Christmas. The Cathedral looked stunning but we had to content ourselves from standing outside in the cold and imagining what the interior was like. We ate pizza in The Piazza Del Campo, wandered about the streets and then stood about waiting for a bus to the train station. It certainly won’t go down in history as the ‘best Christmas ever’ but we are grateful to have been there!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb