Day trip to Florence and pasta making classes!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
December 1st 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

Two Sundays ago Jason and I hopped on the Eurostar train to Florence. The trip was direct and less than 1 hour from Bologna, amazing! We spent the day relaxing, walking around and sight seeing. The weather was great, 70s and sunny! We've attached pictures of Il Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio and Ponte Vecchio. We love walking on Ponte Vecchio. It is the oldest bridge in Florence and the only one to survive Nazi explosives in WWII. It is lined with shops on both sides, mostly jewelry shops, and the view of the river and Florence is amazing. It was a great day trip and we are sure that we will spend many days in Florence with our future visitors as it is so close to Bologna.

I've also included pictures of my latest Bologna adventure, handmade pasta making class! I am taking the class with two other women, Jody and Rebecca. Both of their husbands also work at Caterpillar with Jason. We've had 3 classes so far out of 5 and are learning a lot. It is a lot harder work than I thought rolling out the dough but the reward at the end is well worth it! The teachers there are great. It is a family owned cooking school called "La Vecchia Scuola Bologenese" and you can take a class one day as a tourist or 5 days as amateurs and even work up to professional. I can assure you I won't be aspiring to the professional class! At the end of every class our teacher's mother or uncle cooks us some pasta and we also get to bring home our samples to share with our families. That is Jason's favorite part! This class is something I normally would never have done but it's been a fun experience so far. Now we just have to see if I can make use of my new skill at home!

Next weekend we are off to Fussen Germany to explore the romantic road and many Christmas markets. Can't wait! Then I will be flying back to MN on Dec. 12th for the holiday and Jason will be coming Dec. 20th! Hopefully we will get to see many of you!

Love..Kristi and Jason


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



1st December 2008

Hmm...
can i get a framed pic of you in the apron for christmas?
1st December 2008

Super Chef
Wow, would like to see that guy in video! The pasta looks great--will you be teaching all of us to make pasta back in the US? ;) ;) I hope you're doing well; it is really fun to look at your pictures and know exactly what you're feeling as ex pats. We were preparing for our Christmas holiday at this time last year. I also can't wait to see pics of your apartment furnished. see you on the 12th! Love, Em
2nd December 2008

Pasta Uniform
Kristi, I think the pasta uniform suits you. ha! You are welcome to try out your new found skills in Minnesota for us when you're home. Impresive....making pizza, now pasta, who knows what the possibilities are! Can't wait to see you at Christmas. Love Mom
2nd December 2008

Firenze
Such a great city!!! I had some amazing food when I was there. Looks like y'all had a great time! Take care...
2nd December 2008

yummy pasta!
Your pasta class looks SO Fun! Really, I think you should pursue professional level. Have fun in Fussen...can't wait to see those pics!
2nd December 2008

photo comment
ONE word for the "interesting photo" you posted...OUCH!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb