Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
November 4th 2008
Published: November 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

SorrentoSorrentoSorrento

The view from our campsite you can see Vesuvio in the background.
We still haden't heard from Passport Canada and had a few days to kill. Some Aussies back in Rome recommended a hostel in Florence called Dany House that was cheap and served three squares a day. We got in late and it was full. But they booked us in for the next couple of days and sent us to a bed and breakfast upstairs so we didn't have to walk far.

It rained in Florence most of the time we were there. But that didn't stop us from roaming the streets. Michelangelo's David is there, but it was surrounded by scaffolding so we didn't really get to see it. But judging by the scaffolding, it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

The traffic in Florence was crazy, perhaps it's only rival in this department could be Rome. Crossing streets was more of an exercise in awareness than a leisurely walk. A couple of times Alex and I trusted the green man, only to have a close brush with a guy running a red light, or (our own fault) not realizing the green man didn't control that particular lane.

We managed to get in a
SorrentoSorrentoSorrento

Breakfast time!
couple of Lions games online and found a One Euro shop (like a buck or two back home) that sold beers for 1 euro. When we got back to the hostel there was an Aussie family (kids and all) who chatted with us as we watched the game. It was encouraging for us to see a family with kids out there doing the backpacker thing. We now have inspiration to become cool old traveling folk.

On our second day in Florence we got an e-mail from Passport Canada telling us my passport was in. So off to Rome... again!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Go away pigeons!
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

The Ponte Vecchio bridge with all of it's gold shops.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

The Ponte Vecchio bridge.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

The Duomo.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

The Duomo... again it's hard to get in all one shot.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

The roofline of the Duomo.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb