top deck - part four - florence via Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 28th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 8
We departed Nice and the French Rivera via a perfumery called Fragonard where they make most of the perfumes of the world. Then it was a medium drive to Pisa, home to the famous construction blunder of the leaning tower, and several other buildings constructed during Pisa’s golden age. Apart from these sights, there is little else to see in the town, so we left after an hour. Damien happened to lose his watch during our visit in Pisa, whether is was stolen off his wrist by a dodgy beggar, or fell off is questionable.
Then we travelled to Florence, and tucked in to a lovely meal of pizza, pasta and gelato, with massive servings leaving us all pretty stuffed. Staying at a luxury Camp site, we enjoyed swimming, and drinking in the bar and nightclub well into the small hours of the morning which proved a questionable choice as we had the Florence and Rome walking tours the next day.

Day 9 part 1
Florence to Rome.
The next day we woke early to drive into the city of Florence, and had a 2 hour walking tour within the city. We started the tour outside the church where Galileo and Michelangelo are buried, from there we walked to the major square, which is covered in Statues of antiquity which were built during the Renaissance period. Statues of Neptune, Peruses, the rape of the Sabine women and Hercules cover the floors of the square. The most important statue of course, is that of Michelangelo's David. The original being in a museum however and standing in its place, an exact replica. We walked down the hall of Masters, with big names such as Da Vinci and Donatello, and also Dante revered in the hall. We had a walk down to the oldest bridge left in Florence, which is adorned with jewellery shops. From there we walked down through the shops and streets to the Domed Cathedral of the Flower, which was once the largest Cathedral in the world. Feeling a bit hungry at this stage we walked around town, had some pizza to eat, then visited a shop which sold leather and jewellery. After a long walk in the hot Tuscan sun, we returned to the Coach and left for the ancient city of Rome.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb