We ate Venice up...and vice versa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 5th 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello hello! Sorry for such a long lapse between blogs,

We are comfortably settled in our room in the HEART of Tuscany. We are surrounded on all sides by rolling hills, trees, and Tuscan houses. I (Sara) feel like we fell in to the book Under the Tuscan Sun. We had a heck of a time finding the place though, and had to take one wrong bus and several wrong turns before we were on our way. But now we are here and know how to get around, so all's well that ends well. We spent yesterday exploring Florence and it is beautiful in a totally different way then Venice--the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo are absolutely mind-blowing! Today there is a bus strike (it figures) so we can't go into town and are going to relax at the pool and talk to our newfound Canadian friends (two girls who are traveling for SIX MONTHS all over Europe). In Leah's last blog, she was pretty straightforward about how we felt about Venice. For all you greedy readers though, we will satiate you with detail. When we first stepped out of the train station we were greeted with a beautiful view of what would be many canals. We walked into a nearby bakery for some Panini Caprese (tomato and mozzarella) and were promptly greeted by the owner with an enthusiastic 'Buon giorno!' which immediately caused us to break out in huge grins. The day got better and we met up with some people from our hostel that had been around for a few days and knew their way around, which was nice for us. We spent the day exploring and had dinner at this wonderful restaurant where they had 5 Euro pizzas and the owner let us sample some home made potato chips for free. The next day was more of the same, took a tour around Venice on a water bus and explored the Piazza San Marco (which no words can describe and no picture can do justice). Our last night in Venice was greeted by a toga party at our hostel...and Leah and I danced the night away to cheesy, old pop music (think 'Everybody Dance Now'). In reference to the title of our blog, Venice did end up eating us by way of mosquitos, which I will leave Leah to describe as she has to bear the brunt of the massacre...


FUCK mosquitos. I counted over thirty bites on just my lower right leg, which was more than Sara had on her entire body. Dirty buggers. Luckily that wasn't the highlight of our Venetian excursion; as Sara said earlier the canals and buildings were just breathtaking. And now that we are fine gelato connossieurs- if we can even spell connossieur correctly, I don't know- I can say with confidence that the gelato in Florence is definitely not as good as it was in Venice... Although I am not complaining either way. Sooooo Sara basically summed it up, Venice was great, mosquitos suck, and now we are in the most beautiful region in all of Europe... stuck at our campsite because of a bus strike. Ah well, c'est la vie, and ciao for now.


Advertisement



10th July 2008

I hear you, Leah
I'm a mosquito magnet too - it really sucks! And to add to that I'm a compulsive scratcher, so when they itch like crazy, it can't help it! Florence sounds fun and I get a kick out of the European strikes! Hope you're both having fun! Eat plenty of gelato for me please!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb