David is Beautiful


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 9th 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a restful night, we were ready to spend another exciting day in Florence. We were out the door by 10:00am and didn't have very far to go to our destination...the Galleria de Academia right across the street. We were finally going to see the statue of David, sculpted by Michelangelo that depicts his victory over Goliath. We waited in line for almost 45 minutes and then it was time to see David in all of his glory and wonder. I have two words: big hands. Ok maybe three words: very big hands. David was pretty damn beautiful and the statue was also a lot bigger than I had picture it to be. Unfortunately, we werent able to take any pictures in the galleria but Gajal was able to sneak a quick shot.

When we got tired of staring at David, we headed back to the city center towards the Uffizi, the other main art gallery in Florence. Ly and I didn't really want to pay to see another art museum, so we were going to split up while Gajal went into the Uffizi. We ended up going to get pizza for lunch, and I bought pizza by the kg for the first time. In Italy, they have big slabs of pizza in all different flavors, and you can just tell them how big you want them to cut your piece. Then you just pay by the weight....interesting concept but I prefer to pay by the slice still.

After lunch we met back up with Gajal and walked down to St. Croce, which was the cathedral where Galileo, Michaelangelo, Dante, and many other famous people were buried. It was pretty cool! I really want an elaborate tombstone and burial site when I die.

By this time it was about 3:00pm and we still had plenty of time to kill. So guess what? We went shopping again! We actually had a few last minute items to pick up from the Mercato Centrale in Florence so it wasn't particularly unreasonable. When we were finally sick of shopping in Florence, we went back to the hostel and took a nap before dinner.

We had dinner around 7:00pm at the OK Bar about a block from our hostel. We actually ended up there because we had a coupon for 20% off. We ended up sitting there for almost 2 hours! We had the works: seafood risotto, wine, and tiramasu. I ended up feeling a little tipsy after drinking almost a whole carafe of red wine on my own. Dinner left us feeling pretty fat and disgusting so we did a few laps around the duomo to digest. When we were feeling a little better and my parents weren't so tight we headed back to the hostel to finish packing for the early morning trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb