Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
April 8th 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up at around 9:00am, picked up a few things from the supermarket, and then caught the train to Pisa. It was about a one hour train ride and then another 20 minute walk to the city center. I guess we kind of expected the leaning tower to be right there once we got off the train station, but we ended up having to walk a ways to get to it.

Finally we were staring at the Leaning Tower...it was pretty leany alright. It was part of a larger complex that included another duomo, baptistry, and museums. The weather was very temperamental, rain alternating with sun. We walked around the square for a little bit and did some souvenir shopping before deciding whether or not to pay the 15 euros to hike up the tower. We eventually gave in, and after another panini lunch, began the hike up to the top. It actually was not nearly as bad as climbing up the Eiffel tower. I actually didn't even get out of breath! It was pretty cool to be on the roof of the Leaning Tower and take in all the sights below. I guess it was worth the 15 euros...

After we did all the touristy stuff, we headed back to the Pisa Centrale station and checked out some shops along the way. What was supposed to be a 20 minute walk ended up taking over 2 hours on the way back...I suppose we weren't in any rush so it didn't really matter. Oh and not to mention we got gelato on the way :-) I got a whiskey and peanut butter flavor gelato on a cone.

We caught the 5:30pm train back to Florecnce and then decided that we were hungry again when we got in. I was having yet another craving (for gnocchi this time) so we eventually found a small cafe that served pasta for cheap. I got my gnocchi with crab sauce and even threw in a capuccino.

Since we were pretty tired from traveling all day, we headed back to our hostel after dinner and just relaxed for the rest of the evening.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb