The effects of prolonged exposure to nudity


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
February 2nd 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Seeing all the artwork here has inspired Sam to start drawing. He has now opened his own museum in the bedroom he shares with Naomi. There is a sign on the door, security cameras in the corners (made from construction paper) and his artwork hangs on the walls. There was even a ribbon cutting to open the museum. Sam draws Jesus a lot because so many of the paintings he sees here are of the nativity, the crucifixion, and the ascension. But, of course, so many of the paintings here are nudes that Sam always draws an anatomically correct Jesus. Will this be a problem when he returns to school in Spokane? What about Sunday School?
Then there is Naomi: At the Uffizi Gallery, we passed through room after room of paintings of Jesus life events she asked why no one painted anything else. So I explained at the time, most paintings had religious themes. Then we talked about how all the people in the painting were white and whether that was realistic. Then we FINALLY got to a painting of Adam and Eve (no Jesus in the picture) and she really had her critical thinking going -- she said that she didn't think Eve was white, much less "that skinny with big boobs." I laughed out loud but I hope this is a sign that she is developing a healthy body image. (And I am still trying to discourage use of the word "boobs.")

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb