Michelangelo's David


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 17th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

David and SamDavid and SamDavid and Sam

This is the "outside" David. Not the original but one we get to see more often than the original.
We told the children we were doing two things today: going to see Michelangelo’s David and getting gelato. Sam declared this to be his best day in Italy - to see David AND eat gelato. The museum with David in it has other art, of course, but we mostly cruised past it. The children did become distracted by the interactive games on the computers in the music museum portion. They miss playing on computers since the Internet is down at our apartment. When we got to David, Dean found it bigger than expected and Sam claimed it was smaller than he expected. Naomi and I had talked before we went to the museum about how you could see David’s veins in the sculpture, but she found the sculpture’s veins to be different than expected. In the gift shop, Naomi bought a bookmark of David, but worries that she cannot take it to school since it has a naked man on it. I found myself very distracted by David’s right hand (which is overdeveloped to represent the hand of God). I figure if I can look at a naked man and find his hand fascinating, it must be art.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb