Florence, Italy- Only 465 steps to the TOP of "il Duomo'!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 25th 2007
Published: November 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At the Top! At the Top! At the Top!

Giottos Bell Tower and the town of Florence behind us.
To the TOP of the Duomo we go! We went up 465+/- grueling, heart busting, chest heaving, eye popping, steps. I thought I was going to die going up. When you start, it seems like a piece of cake, but the steps get steeper and the walls literally start closing in on you at each spiraling turn. However as much pain as it was, it was worth it - one time! Since it hurt so bad going up, we decided against trying to climb the Giottos bell tower next, no elevator there either .

The Santa Maria del Fiore famously known as The Duomo. It is a most beautiful sight to see! The architecture and intricate craftsmanship of the buildings is absolutely incredible. Photos can not even capture the delicate, ornate detail that is etched within the marble on the outside of the Duomo.

Construction on this church began in 1296 and was not completed until the 19th century (You do the math). The details of the church account for the time it took to complete. What makes this particular dome most impressive is It was the FIRST 'octagonal' dome in history to be built WITHOUT a wooden supporting frame, and was the largest dome built at the time. It is still the largest masonry dome in the world. (The only other known dome built without support structures was the Roman Pantheon, a circular dome, built in 117-128 C.E.)

Inside the church was a little disappointing compared to what you see on the outside, EXCEPT for the amazing fresco painted on the inside of its magnificent dome 147ft wide - 38 750 ft² of VERY DETAILED painted surface - called the Judgement.


Additional photos below
Photos: 95, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Birds Eye View looking down Duomos DomeBirds Eye View looking down Duomos Dome
Birds Eye View looking down Duomos Dome

The rooftop of main part of church and the gorgeous Giottos Bell Tower. (By BK)
Gasp! Thank goodness a Pit StopGasp! Thank goodness a Pit Stop
Gasp! Thank goodness a Pit Stop

The only open space as you climb to the top of the dome. (by JK)
Waiting to go upWaiting to go up
Waiting to go up

A one way path, almost straight up. I am leaning with my back against the concrete. (by JK)
People enjoying thier view from Giotto's TowerPeople enjoying thier view from Giotto's Tower
People enjoying thier view from Giotto's Tower

After the painfull climb up the dome, we decided not to climb the tower (no elevator there either) (by BK)
Oh Tuscany!Oh Tuscany!
Oh Tuscany!

A beautifull day to be in Florence. Sante Croce Church on the very right(by BK)
Squinting at the TOP of DuomoSquinting at the TOP of Duomo
Squinting at the TOP of Duomo

Its great to go to the top of these buildings. You dont have to worry about someone running off with your camera.
View from Duomo's DomeView from Duomo's Dome
View from Duomo's Dome

Looking towards the Arno River (South) on the left is Palazzo Vecchio (by BK)
Self Portrait.Self Portrait.
Self Portrait.

we should just let someone else take the picture :)


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb