The Boboli Gardens


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 18th 2018
Published: May 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Well, we’ve walked our feet off today on a warm and sunny day.

After coffee and pastry at the cafe next door we set off for the Boboli Gardens. Starting at the bottom gate we weaved our way up the hill via the Island Fountain and Cypress Lane. The latter was straight up so we dived off to the side for a more circuitous route but with a gentler slope. Frangrant flowers were everywhere, clematis, peonies, roses and lavender. Masses of them.

The Orangery was being cleaned out as all the fruiting trees in pots now decorate walkways around parts of the garden.

Statues are everywhere. Mainly from Greek and Roman myths with a few rustic subjects thrown in.

At the top we were rewarded with the Porcelain Museum which contains exquisite pieces from the Medici collection with the bonus of a magnificent view over the surrounding hills towards San Miniato Church.

Fortunately the rest was all downhill with glorious views over Florence on the way down.

I’ll let the photos speak for themselves.

We’ve decided to eat alternately, one night in and the next out. The fresh pasta from the supermarket very close by, is very light and delicious especially the huge pillows of ravioli. I think it is delivered daily as there is always a different selection when we go back. Tonight Bev made a bolognaise sauce which we had with fresh tagliatelle.

After dinner we went out for a walk over the bridge, along to the Duomo and back through the Piazza del Signoria. Scaffolding surrounds the Duomo in places where it is being cleaned. The difference is incredible. The colours just sing. A gelato and a stop to listen to a band sing Hallelujah on the Ponte Vecchio finished off a wonderful day.

Tomorrow is Fiesole.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb