Anticipating our adventure in Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 12th 2018
Published: May 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Armed with our trusty Lonely Planet in both print and digital form, plus a local phone with Google maps, Bev and I are off to explore the sights of Florence. We have a very long list and and 19 days might not be enough to see them all! Ian of course is going to be very busy every day doing his printmaking course.

Our apartment, Corte Dragomanni, is very close to the south side of the Ponte Vecchio. It's under the raised Vasari Corridor which was built by Cosimo Medici in 1565 so he could go from the administrative centre at Palazzo Vecchio to his residence at the Pitti Palace without having to walk amongst the people. I have looked at it on Google Earth, 'walked' up and down Via de' Guicciardini but I can't see an entranceway to get into our own private courtyard! We shall find out on Sunday.

I can see our nearest Piazza, Santa Felicita, which has not one, but two cafes!

On the second weekend there we are making a nostalgic trip up to Barga, in the hills north of Lucca, where Ian spent 4 weeks (and me 2) in 1998 doing a colour etching course.

On the 23rd we have a very special event, a personal tour of the Palazzo Corsini by one of the owners, Contessa Lucrezia Corsini Miari Fulcis. I was a guide at the Auckland Art Gallery when the Corsini Collection exhibition was on last year. This is the home of all these paintings.

So, lots of fun and adventure await us.

Advertisement



11th May 2018

Happy adventuring.
All the best for a brilliant time. Pouring with rain in Auckland.

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb