Florence, Italy Assignment #7


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 18th 2018
Published: January 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Florence, Italy Assignment #7

January 18, 2018

Jo Ann Smith



This has been an amazing trip. We are coming to the close of week two in this beautiful city they call Firenze. So much to see all around you, we have not every seen a fraction of all this city has to offer, just in the streets alone there is enough art to keep you coming back, there are sculptures, beautiful churches, buildings with so much history attached to them. The walking tour with Antonio Vanni, the AEF Academic Director explaining the history of the Medici banking family, their influence on the city and construction of their house, the Medici chest with 6 balls with a crown above it, that is seen all around Firenze.



Then there are the tours of the museums with Elizabeth Butler, Professor of Art History, who gives us the background on the artwork that you would not learn about if you toured on your own. Like the statue of David in the Piazza Della Signoria, is not the original, but a copy. The original was moved to the Galleria dell’Accademia in 1873 to protest it from further weather damage.



The Galleria dell’Accademia with the statue of David by Michelangelo has been the most inspiring work of art I have ever seen. Elizabeth went into great detail about how Michelangelo worked on the statue and about the statue itself. The most interesting thing is that I have heard two different stories about what is in his left hand. Some say it is a rock and Elizabeth explains that it is the handle of the slingshot that is over David’s right shoulder. I tend to agree with her after seeing the statue up close and from the back, you can see the slingshot draped down his back and into his hand, where there looks to be a handle, not a rock.



Just the small amount that I have learn about the man that created some of the most wonderful works of art in the world has me wanting to learn more. We have toured the Uffizi, were Michelangelo’s Doni Tondo (Holy Family with the infant St. John the Baptist) hangs in room 25. The first thing I notice was the rich, bright colors of the painting. Elizabeth said that the rich colors are because Michelangelo used linseed oil and not the egg yolk and water of the artists before him.



There are two more museums I want to visit and learn more about Michelangelo before leaving this beautiful city. The first one is the Bargello were Michelangelo’s Bacchu, Madonna with Child, Brutus and David-Apollo are located. The second one is the Basilica di Santa Croce the burial place of Michelangelo. I can not left this wonderful city without learn as much as I can about this famous sculptor, artist, and poet that has given so much for us to enjoy.



I can not wait until this weekend, we are planning a trip to Rome, to the Vatican Museum. I will able to see The Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo.



There is just too much to try and absorb in such a short amount of time. I will definitely plan another trip to this wonderful city. Maybe Lauren, my daughter might enjoy seeing it with me.



Part 2

I have observed that the Italian families seem to be very attentive to their small children, both mothers and fathers are caregivers. I feel this would be a great place to live with a family, with older children as there are just too many stairs to climb with all the things that are needed with small children. But the diversity and culture that I have seen is amazing for older children. There is no need for a car, everything is within walking distance or they ride bicycles and I feel very safe walking here day or at night. The stores and markets have things packaged in small quantities so you go to the market everyday or two (cuts out a lot of wasted food) or eat in small cafes and restaurants.



As for my family living here, I do not feel they would want to do more than a visit. They do not like change and would miss the lifestyle that they are accustomed to.



Steps of:



1-17-2018. 8,616 I was sick and have to stay in and rest.



1-18-2018. 12,889

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb