Food and Drinks


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 14th 2018
Published: January 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Foods and Drinks



Foods and Drinks are greatly different in Italy compared to America, however, in both areas I do see a tradition that has taken place over centuries. They include a certain pride in the family meals and how they are prepared that show a specific family way of preparing using techniques and using special ingredients that make it so valuable. They do this on Sundays after church at the grandmother’s house as Americans have done for centuries. In America we prepare big meals that contain processed meats and potatoes, and fry everything we can including vegetables, and cook all the nutritional properties out of some and add lard or animal fats to put taste back into them. In America, juices we buy in the grocery store have been so overly processed that companies have to ass artificial flavors and colors just to make it look fresh again. This is also done at he meat counters after bleaching is done to meat that is old. Many times, we see what we think is blood in the bottom of beef when in reality it is red food coloring to make it look fresh. In Italy you can see the meat in big pieces and watch as they cut it fresh. There are some places still like this in America, but very few.

In addition, you do not see canned foods. Everything is fresh. In the kitchens, there are small refrigerators and little space to store extras as most foods are bought on a daily basis from markets that have huge variety of fruits and vegetables grown here in Italy. In America our groceries often have very little to choose in freshness and most of the time is shipped in from other countries and spend much time on trucks in transport. In Italy, the meat that they eat is not the main course, but included in the main course in a small amount in comparison to America.











In America, the everyday morning customs are to eat a big breakfast with eggs, breads, gravy, milk and more. We like to spend time around the table and savor our coffee while reading up or watching the news in our area and the world. Here in Italy, once people are up and dressed they are on the move. The drink a very condensed coffee shot which is called espresso which gives a high energy quickly with the high intense flavor of coffee and chose from a large variety of fresh handmade pastries.



Lunch time seems to have the dame tempo that America has. Both countries have the grab and go concept of having fast and on the go. Americans many times turn to the fast food industry which produces bulk processed foods and served it hot. For instance, a hamburger from Mc Donald’s is a frozen patty of who knows what and is served as a beef hamburger. Their french-fries are deep fried like many other side items in America and covered in salt. Some people carry a lunch to work that consists of left over dinner foods or sandwiches and chips. Others eat on a healthier note and consume salad, yogurt and vegetable snacks for lunch. In Italy, there are sandwich shops and pizzerias everywhere. They provide fresh made sandwiches and pizzas made with fresh ingredients that are usually hand made from mom and pop companies that take pride in using natural and healthy ingredients.

For dinner, in America, many different foods are served and in large quantities. The serving sizes or portions in Italy are much smaller and and are filling. In America, portion sizes are huge and way too big for the normal physical activity of an average American. In America, we eat huge portions of meat and potatoes. Our vegetables are all fried and seasoned with lots of salt or pork and beef fat for flavor and are usually cooked so much that the nutritional properties are completely diminished before we eat it. In Italy the main course is a form of pasta, sauce, cheese, and a small amount of meat. They use meats that are originally from the region of their nationality.

I see that alcohol is a huge drink with most of the meals in Italy. I normally drink water all day but have found that I’m drinking soda’s more frequently for the fact that water is as expensive here in Italy. Our family orders water with our meals at home in America for a few reasons, it is usually free and better for us.

I’m America, almost all food and drinks are produced in factories with many additives that we don’t even know what they are and what effects they have in our health. In Italy the people take much pride in mom and pop companies that know each ingredient

They use the ones that taste the best and are the healthiest like they explained to us in our tours of Eatily and the winery. The special dedication and care that is put into their food makes a difference in the taste and the nutritional benefits. In America, companies add a lot of sugar to tomato sauces, and in Italy they do not. Although I like it both ways, I would choose to eat the all natural.







In America, I thought that we ate a lot of ice-cream. I swear that it is the main thing that sent my husband into full fledged diabetes. I am not a big fan, but do like to eat it occasionally. America has ice-cream shops usually at least one in each town, however in Italy there are their kind of ice-cream shops on every street. I will have to say, that I love their Gelato. I do not know how they make it, but it is with natural ingredients and it is good! I could eat, and in fact have been eating, a small cup of this cold and tasty treat every couple of days.

I have enjoyed eating true Italian food except the pizza. I’m just not a huge fan of it. I like a thicker, sweeter crust and sauce on mine and more ingredients. I have only tried the plain kind though that is supposed to be so good. Bummer! I did see today some pizza that looked more what I would like, I just have not tried it yet. It looked more Americanized, so it is probably more to my liking.





The wines are all delicious! What a treasure to have a winery like this part of Italy has. Pure perfection! The fact that they will not even use the grapes that they grow on new vines that are under five years old for public distribution shows just how particular they are with the quality in the making. I see many differences in the foods and they way Italians eat compared to the way American’s do. I know my eating habits have changed in many ways since being here as some are good and some not so good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb