Florence , Italy Assignment #4


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 11th 2018
Published: January 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

1-10-2018



I was so excited to be able to attend the invitation only Concept Korea fashion show at Pitti Immagine Uomo 93. I have been to other fashion shows but they did not have the big production with the lights flashing, the music and all the photographers. I ever got to set on the front row, the models were coming right toward me. I was able to take some amazing pictures. The models were very professional, their walk was very sharp and precise, it was like watching ballroom dancers performing the Foxtrot without a partner.



The show had two designers with totally different styles. The first collection was by BMUET (TE), designers duo Byungmun Seo and Jina Um. The collection was titled “Weird But Beautiful”. Their bio sheet said they “convey an idea of the beauty of unexpected meetings with unfamiliar elements and develop the idea combining different structures of garments into one unfamiliar shape as an expression for unexpected meeting of elements and resisting original shape of each structures but creating new meaning to them” (info@bmuette.com).



Their designs consisted of dark colors with asymmetrical, loose fitting, casual shaped garments with other parts of garments layered on top. The shirts were oversized with oversized sleeves or had Virago style sleeves that was similar to the 1620’s (that is were the sleeve has three to four bands of gathering to form puffs) that was some times unattached to the arm hole. The shirts also had ruffled collars with wide ruffles down the front, giving the garments a medieval style. (See photo)



The collection also had trench coats that had design elements backwards like button, belt buckles and cinching on the back.



The one design that I like the best was the girl that was wearing the black velvet, double breasted, jacket with the tiered ruffled black skirt. (See photo)



The second collection was by designer Ko Taeyong of Beyond Closet with the concept of Beautiful B People. The bio sheet says “Beautiful B People is a story about us, standing between an overly attractive and awfully confuses boy and young man.” (Seoul, South Korea).



The designs were playful with Daniel Boone style fur hats, lots of accessories, dog motifs, bright and pastel colors. The pants are fitted and cropped. The also used plaids for jackets and trench coats.



1-11-2018



Today we toured the Instituto degli Innocenti, it was originally a hospital and children's orphanage that was designed by Fillippo Brunelleschi. The blue terra-cotta round disk showing the babies was designed by Andrea Della Robbia. The first baby was abandoned on February 5, 1445. The babies were abandoned in a basin at the front of the porch, the basin was removed in 1660 and replaced with a wheel that rotated the babies into the building without the parents being seen. Something the parents would leave half of a coin or small piece of cloth with the baby in hope that someday they would be reunited. (See photo) That made me feel sad that the parents had to abandoned their children, but if you were unable to care for the child it was better to have the orphanage care for they because they would be cared for, educated and taught a trade. The orphanage was in operation still 1875. Today there is a small museum with artworks by Luca Della Robbia, Sandro Botticelli, Piero di Cosimo and Domenico Ghirlandaio.



This is my favorite painting is Madonna of the Innocenti, showing Mary sheltering and protecting the children under her cloak. The sign did not list the painter, just said a Florentine painter. (See photo)



I still can not get the photo to load, the internet is very slow.



1-10-18 17,932 steps



1-11-18 15,710 steps

Advertisement



12th January 2018

Fabulous
JoAnn, I love your descriptions of all you are seeing.Wish I could see all that you are seeing . Sounds wonderful.
12th January 2018

Florence
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy will be watching for pictures. Be safe

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb