Selva Wolkenstein


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Trentino Alto Adige » Ortisei
September 23rd 2017
Published: September 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

As we had exhausted the Cable Cars, Funiculars, Chair Lifts and Travelators in Ortisei, we thought we would turn our attention to the next hapless town. We chose the town of Selva Wolkenstein, two villages further up the Val Gardena.



First up we caught the cable car up to Chiampinoi, then walked a considerable distance along the plateau to the base of the imposing Langkofel Mountain. From there we caught another cable car up to the high pass between Langkofel and Plattkofel Mountains. I think this was our favourite cable car, as it was a tall narrow box just fitting two people, where Kim had to first jump in as it moved, then I had to run after it with my backpack loaded up, and jump in, and then have the door slammed on us by the lift operator as we were moving away. As you can see from the photos, it was a very steep climb up to the pass. There is a Rifugio at the top of the cable car ride, where we enjoyed coffee, whilst watching scores of Paragliders floating on the thermals. After walking around in the snow and taking photos, we caught the cable car back down and hiked back to Chiampinoi, then caught the cable car back down to Selva Wolkenstein.



From there we caught a two stage cable car up to Grodner Joch, where we saw some crazy mountain bike riders flying down almost a vertical slope at breakneck speed. After taking some pics, we caught the cable car back down. By that time it was late, and so we called the mountains quits for the day. 16,167 steps and 79 floors today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb