Churches and Markets


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Palermo
March 23rd 2010
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.1157, 13.3612

Palermo is an incredible city. The mix of modern shopping with restaurants and old world food markets. We started the day by having breakfast at the hotel and then made our way to the Cappella Palatine (Palatine Chapel). It is the finest example of Arab-Norman art in Palermo.
Built by Roger II from 1130 to 1140, the chapel is adorned with extraordinary Norman-Byzantine mosaics. We have been in more churches in Europe then I can count but this one was truly special. The mosaics that are on every surface are just stunning and to imagine the work involved in creating such a building is mind blowing.

We then took a walk in the crowded markets to see all the amazing food on offer. The cries of the vendors selling there wares was a constant sound as we strolled through the endless markets. This is a place that seems that time has forgotten. Well, except for the constant scooters trying to drive through the crowds of people. The fresh produce that was available in a never ending rainbow of colors was only topped by the selection of fresh seafood. We grabbed a bite of some of the local eats while in the market and continued or walk around the historic part of the city. Of course we had to stop for a gelato when we got tired. We finished the night off at a rather swanky restaurant that served us some amazing pastas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



18th April 2010

Great shot!
18th April 2010

One of the distinctive things about the markets in Palermo was the sound of the vendors hawking their products. You can see the hawker in action in this shot!
18th April 2010

Nice nose!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb