1st Port Day Messina Sicily


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Messina
May 6th 2013
Published: June 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our first port, Messina, Sicily. We had planned a ship tour to The Godfather Mansion. This was cancelled though and we did not find another ship tour we wanted. So, we slept in a bit, enjoyed breakfast in the Windjammer then off to see the city. The ship docks very close in and you don't have far to walk to get out of the area and about a block up to begin seeing the views.

As we walked toward the main part of the city, we see horse drawn carriages. These carry several people, have a tour guide and the price is right at E 15. You can take the horse drawn carriage for a 45 minute tour or the train which is sort of like a train at the mall. Our first cruise to Nassau Bahamas we took a horse and carriage ride which turned out to be one of the best ideas we had. It was exciting and we got such a close up view of the city. So we sign up for the carriage and the walking tour with a tasting at the end. Was a great choice!

The ride is around the city square and city with the tour guide giving a history lesson. They pause several places. The square is the gathering place, it seems, for most everyone. We complete the tour and go to meet up the walking tour by the bell tower. Now, we did not understand about the bell tower. A lion on it starts to roar, then a chicken crows and flaps it's wings, a group of "angels" dance around then a replica of the church on the hill comes out. The walking tour guide explains this happens everyday at noon. Each item has significance to the city. We then take the walking tour which is not for the weak or weary but takes us to a phenomenal overlook of the bay. The tour guide is talking almost non stop giving the history, which we will not remember. At the end we stop at a shop for a free taste of a shake type drink.

We walk around but a lot of stores close in the afternoon from 12-3. It is nearing 2 so we head back to the ship. We use our coupon for a buy a shake, get one free at Johnny Rockets. There is a $4.95 per person cover charge but so worth all you can eat. We enjoy our meal then head out to change clothes and try the pool area. Not too bad and we have some time enjoying the day, sitting by the pool.

This evening is formal. This is always a fun night. The ship has photo shoot options at several locations. An opportunity to look your best! There is a welcome back party then dinner in the main dining room at 8:30. Tomorrow is sea day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 123, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.535s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2988s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb