Palermo - Erice - Trapani - Masala


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Marsala
September 2nd 2018
Published: September 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We left our hotel in Palermo at the reasonable time of 9:15 and headed out along the coast, towards our first destination of Erice. Along the way we climbed a mountain that gaves us a great view back over the coast and pulled over for a photo stop. It was already about 27 degrees at this stage and quite humid. We continued on our way and then had this amazing climb up to the top of another mountain to the town of Erice. We arrived around 11:30 and walked through the pretty cobbled streets of the town. Our first stop was a pastisserie that made different types of almond biscuits and sweets. This area of Silicly is known for pistachios and almonds and we tried many different samples of sweets and biscuits. It was a timely visit as it had started raining - which lasted about 5 minutes and then it was sunny and hot again! We continued our walk up to one of the main squares and then we had free time to explore and have some lunch. Erice is one of those beautiful towns you see perched up on the ridge of the mountain. It is known as he town of 100 churches which isn't quite accurate but there are certainly a high number of churches in this relatively small town. I spent some time just walking along the alleys and cobbled streets without worrying too much about where I would end up, which is one of the joys of travelling. I ended up coming across the castle at the top, which was very majestic. I then headed down towards where we started and then came into a square that has a cathedral in it.

For lunch I decided to have an arincini from a little hole in the wall shop that Michele had told us was the best place for arancini. I had the Caprese - pomodore, mozzarella di buffalo and basile (tomato, mozzarella and basil). They cook it for you on the spot then ask you to wait 4 minutes before eating. I had mine with an icey cold beer and it was absolutely delicious!

It was then time to head to our next destination - Trapani and a visit to the Salt Flats. We met our local guide and she shared with us the story of these historic salt pans. Hot African winds, long, sun-drenched summer days and shallow coastal waters..... the perfect recipe for salt-making, thought the Phoenicians some 2,700 years ago. Today, the very same conditions are still being put to good use in the salt pans between Trapani and Marsala.

Salt was a hugely important commodity for the preservation of food and so the west coast of Sicily soon had a fundamental role to play in the daily life of thousands of people around the Mediterranean and in Europe.

Windmills, first introduced during mediaeval times, dot the horizon, a testament to how things were once done, though one or two continue to function, pumping water through the sluice gates into or out of the various basins. Piles of harvested salt, neatly covered with terracotta tiles, lie between the road and the basins waiting to be despatched.

Quite a fascinating story and interesting looking area. I decided to head outside and along the road, so I could take some photos up close to the salt pans and then piles of salt. Unfortunately, when taking a photo, my feet slipped out from under me on the loose stones and I fell. Physically OK (just a grazed knee) but unfortunately my Nikon didn't end up so well. As I had dropped it onto the ground, it now doesn't work ?. Everyone was concerned for my knee but that will self heal. I did investigate getting it repaired when I head to Malta but they came back advising they send it away to be repaired and it will take 4 - 6 weeks so I will wait until I get back to Sydney to sort it out. Such a shame though as it takes great photos.

Back onto the bus and we headed to our accommodation for the night in Marsala - Resort Baglio Oneto. What a beautiful place and you can definitely see the influence of the Moors/Africans as it has been built as a rectangular shape with a central courtyard. We all met up at 6:30 for a tour of the venue followed by a wine tasting. We sampled wines from the local region and then finished with a sample of their marsala. We had lots of fun at this wine tasting with Jackie, Sue and Paul. From here we headed to the outdoor area in the courtyard for our Al fresco dinner. We ordered a bottle of the white wine we had tasted and enjoyed a lovely meal with great company.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0889s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb