Cefalu and Norman Conquests


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Cefalù
April 28th 2017
Published: April 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Cefalu sunset Cefalu sunset Cefalu sunset

Through the old gateway.
The Normans did not only conquer Britain in 1066 but were as far south as Sicily in the 12 Century. KIng Roger ll crops up everywhere here and seems to have been a great builder ... the World Heritage has recognised religious and civic sites in Cefalu , Palermo and Monreale as special in that there are amalgamations of religions of Western, Byzantine and Islamic cultures.

In addition Cefalu is a lovely seaside town with narrow street thronged with locals and tourists. Cafes and restaurants abound and there are little shops selling everything from Italian leather handbags and ceramics to sundried tomatoes and pesto!

Tucked away down one street is a mediaeval laundry site where women would gather and do their washing as well as have a good old chat I am sure !! The water of the river running through there is so clear but I had to reflect that it would have been very hard work !!

Behind the town and our lovely apartment lies La Rocca ... yes you guessed it ... a BIG rock. And on top are the ruins of the walls and a castle built by Roger.... this was also a site of a Temple to Diana is Ancient Greek times . So one of us had a great idea that we should do the hike to the top ... the path was zigzagging and rocky and with a bit of scrambling at times so up and up and up we went . It took an hour of steady hiking up but what views we had at the top.... well worth the effort. And of course when we got back down to the town we sat in a piazza with a Moretti beer and a pizza by the Norman Cathedral built by Roger of course.

As sunset falls on Cefalu all the town population gathers to watch the golden light and everyone jostles for the best vantage point to get the best photo shots, I think we did pretty good.

We are getting quite used to Italian trains now and getting tickets so it's our train journey to Palermo and to say goodbye to Colleen and Peter who are now flying to Sardinia... Adrian and Judi and I have a night in Palermo then we are flying to Malta.

Ciao.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

At the top At the top
At the top

We made it !
Around the town Around the town
Around the town

Someone there playing violin .. Godfather theme of course!


29th April 2017
Cefalu sunset

Amazing sunset
love the world and wonder of travel.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb