Sardinia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Alghero
March 21st 2005
Published: March 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

This has been one of the most amazing weekends, hands down. Sarah & I had an early morning flight Friday to Alghero, but the trains don't run too early, so we went to the airport Thursday night. We had to change trains (and made some friends during the hour wait at Bishops Strotford) and eventually made it to Stansted Airport at 1am. Of course we think that its going to be no big deal to find a seat & just sit around & burn 3 hours. We get there and every single seat in the waiting area is full, as is much of the floor -- there were even people that brought inflatable matresses. At 4 am the Ryanair counter opened and we dropped off our bags, got some coffee and headed out on our 6am flight. We got to the Alghero airport and made our way to the hotel (which had a beautiful view, except it was a little foggy in the morning) and then into the actual city and wandered around town soaking up the sun & eating gelato. We ate dinner near our hotel & ended up sitting with a random Brit which made dinner amusing.
Saturday we
HarborHarborHarbor

A little foggy on our first day there
took a boat to the Neptune caves (a scenic 30 min ride) and toured them. I didn't really ever think I would end up in a cave with stalactites and stalagmites, so just to walk around the inside of that and hear how long those take to form was astounding. Parts of the inside of the cave are stained black from when it used to be lit with candles, and now they basically use flood lights, but that makes every picture look horribly yellow/orange, which was disappointing. Every once in a while it was odd to look up and have a whole bunch of daggar shaped things hanging above your head though. The weather was good so the boat tour took us for an extra spin around a little island, and then headed back to Alghero. We walked around town and looked at all the coral shops, had the most amazing meal, and headed back to our hotel.
Sunday we just layed on a little fishing pier to pass the time, and walked through the old part of town again before heading back to the airport. Neither one of us wanted to leave, but the one thing that made the
UsUsUs

Sarah & I on the boat
flight amazing was that we flew over Paris and the pilot made sure to point out to everyone that you could actually see the Eiffle Tower lit up from the plane.
We made it back just fine and both managed to get a little sun on our faces, and today Evan arrived, so this week can't get any better!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BoatBoat
Boat

docked at entrance to the Neptune Caves
HarborHarbor
Harbor

coming back into Alghero from the Caves
Old TownOld Town
Old Town

I'm not sure what the building is, but the roof was so pretty...
usus
us

Sarah & I on the pier before we left


Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb