HISTORICAL, CULTURAL CITY OF BERGAMO ( ITALY )


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy
April 8th 2013
Published: May 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

And to begin this Cultural ancient City trip I advice the Glamourous and Fabulous "Grand Hotel de Parco, in low Season it is very affordable , very tasteful arrangement and the service are good, the breakfast and the Hotel ammenities.



Bergamo, or in latin ( Bergomum ), is a City and Commune, in the Lombardy, Italy. it's about 40 km Northeast of Milan. In early years, Bergamo was a home for a Celtic Tribe, then in 49 BC, it became a Roman Municipality, and it was destroyed by the ATTILA in the 5th Century. In the year of 1264, Bergamo was Intermittently under the rule of Milan, and in 1428, it fell under the control of Venetian Republic. In 1815, it was assigned to the Austrian Empire and the good " Giuseppe Garibaldi", freed it in 1859 in the 2nd, Italian Independence War.It became also the name,"Citta dei Mille", or ( City of the Thousand ). Bergamo is also one of the few Italian Cities that did not suffer major destructions during World War II. Citta Alta or Upper City of Bergamo, is now in the year 2013, a Candidate of European Cultural Capital City. The * upper City *,or a Hilltop Medieval Town, is surrounded of 17th Century Cyclopic defensive walls, and the "Citta Bassa", or the lower city,. The two parts of the Town is connected by a Funicolare, or Funicular, or Cable Car. " Citta Alta" is an extremely expensive place to live in, with Properties beeing sold to an amount of 5, 000 €, to 12, 000 € per Sqm. The first to be in Bergamo is the "Piazza Vecchia", or the Old Square, if you like to go up in the Tower or Campanone, it is 52 meters tall, the lift will cost you 3€, or if you need an exercise use the Stairs for the same price, and dont forget to take your earplugs in case you wanna stay inside while the bells are ringing, co'z untill now since the 12th Centuries, the bells are ringing at 10PM, a 100 times , to call the People together to warned for Curfew, or an Enemy is around, or Fire, or to close the gates of " Citta Alta",like in the past Centuries.Then , enjoy the beautiful view beyond.The Marble Fountain in the center of Bergamo with it's Venetian Lion, is a gift from a Venetian high official back in year 1780. Palazzo delle Ragione, ( The Palace of Reason), erected in the 12th Century and rebuilt in the 16th Century is also located at the "Piazza Vechia". One of the most historical Church here is the, Santa Maria Maggiore, the story of this Cathedral is way back the 12th Century, in year 1133, Bergamo was under the epidemie or Pest, and the people of Bergamo, ask the Santa Maria to help them, and they started to build the Cathedral year 1137, under the Bischof of Bergamo. The entrance of the Cathedral are two big Columns on both sides, carried by Lions, the white lion is for the South Facade, and the red for the North Facade. In the Santa Maria Maggiore Cathedral, you will find the Tomb of, Gaetano Donizetti (1797- 1848 ), a famous Componist of Italian Oper. Colleoni Church, is for me the most impressiv , Glamourous and Fabulous Artworks all over the ceiling and Walls, not to mention the Breathtaking "Golden Chapel". Now, lets check, " Citta Bassa ", or the lower Town. One of the most distinctive sights here are the two " Propilei di Porta Nuova, these are the two identicals Columns buildings, that look like Temples. The Church, "Sant Alessandro Della Croce", is very Barock styled Basilica and this 17th Century building is a home for some Magnificent work of Arts, not to be missed in "Citta Bassa", is the very majestic, Church of " Santa Maria Immacolata Delle Grazie, a Landmark of Bergamo's, lower Town, it is so huge that i am pretty sure will magnetized your eyes. Well, enjoy your adventure co'z i know you will love the "Alta Cita" of Bergamo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb