Disaster averted ...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Tremezzo
August 24th 2017
Published: August 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

La Darsena - restaurant with a viewLa Darsena - restaurant with a viewLa Darsena - restaurant with a view

Too busy scoffing the tiramisu to take a photo!!
We treated ourselves to a lovely dinner last night which was just as well as we needed all our stamina today!!

You know the disaster that could possibly occur that I referred to in relation to having "nailed" ferry catching … well … it wasn't actually a disaster but, shall we say we have had a much longer day than expected!! Due to the “misreading” of the timetable we ended up being 1 1/2 hours early for the ferry so what do you do when it is already 26 degrees - walk of course!! The trip I attempted to make yesterday has now been completed to the beautiful villages of Mezzegra and Lenno. It was good to see something of normal life in the back lanes away from the villas and opulence of the Lake but we were very happy when we eventually made it. It wasn't really the distance rather the up, up, up and then down And no shade.

After suitable refreshments we boarded the fast ferry for Como as we wanted to do the funiculare from Como to Brunate, a little village on the way to the Alps from Como. The good news is that we could see it from the dock so followed our noses and there it was. It was a great experience to see the size of Como from up high. Not for the first time we wondered how on earth people decided to live in the area and what methods they must have used originally to reach their homes. The population is 1800 but many Italians rent apartments there in the summer. The highlight was returning by the very slow ferry - it took 2 hours for what took 40 mins this morning but we travelled much closer to the coastline and could sit on the deck under shade with a breeze - very relaxing.

Tomorrow we leave Tremezzo, we feel as if we have only just scratched the surface of the area, there is so much more to explore. We have been blessed with amazing weather and beautiful hosts at this little family run BnB which has made all the difference - and yes we are by the pool!!

Ciao!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Entrance to the FuniculareEntrance to the Funiculare
Entrance to the Funiculare

Very German looking
There is a reason all Italians are fabulously tanned - There is a reason all Italians are fabulously tanned -
There is a reason all Italians are fabulously tanned -

they sunbake anywhere - even on rocks


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb