Home tomorrow


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
May 27th 2013
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4637, 9.18813

We reached Milan safely, by walk, train, bus and shuttle. Shopped around Rapallo a little this morning killing time. Dee had her three or four gelatos. Met May and Paul at the train station. Freakishly early of course. Everyone here walks into the train station 2 minutes before departure except for us.

Dot splurged and booked first class seats for the 2+ hour train ride to Milan. The problem was, we didn't know which end of the train was going to be first class, the the trains are really long. We are hauling all our luggage and backpacks and bags, and of course, we guessed wrong. We start walking to the other end, and everyone was already on the train. We were afraid it would leave us, so we hopped on about 4 cars back. Hauling all our stuff through the train cars was NOT fun, but we made it. It's not very easy to get on and off a train with luggage and bags, and water and snacks, etc.

The train ride was uneventful and smooth. Except Mary and Paul ended up in the wrong car. Right train, just the wrong car. They were supposed to b next to us. I went looking for them and they were in car number 2 instead of number 1. So they had to move all their stuff.

When we get to the train station in MIlan, we have to take that stupid hour long bus ride to the airport, which I hate. Why can't they build a subway or rail? For the first time, we had to pay to pee at the Milan train station. 1 euro. The only place during our entire trip we had to pay. We just made the bus and Mary got the last seat.

Mary and Paul are staying in a hotel at the airport. Dot booked us into a B&B near the airport and the owner came to pick us up at the airport and will give us a ride back there tonight. It is a cute little place in a nice residential neighborhood. And, there was a can of PEPSI in the mini fridge. "Was" being a key word here.

We arrived about 6 pm and he offered to give us a ride to a local restaurant for dinner. They open at 7 pm, of course, so he said we would "go together'. We said fine, not quite sure what that entailed. Would he join us for dinner? We met at 7, he obviously knows everyone at the restaurant. He made sure we got a table and said they would call him when we were done. Great service.

He actually recommended a different restaurant, someplace nicer, but his Mom chimed in and we chose the more casual pizzeria style place because we were tired and wanted something light. ONce we looked at the menu, we decided to be adventurous, remembering the yummy pasta dishes we have had this trip. So we skipped the pizza and ordered pastas, except for Dot, who ordered carpaccio and salad.

So, the waitress was either in a bad mood, or was totally puzzled by us. First, we didn't order any wine, just soda and water. Then, we only ordered one course. Plus, we ordered pasta and french fries. Dot ordered from the appetizer menu and we ordered from the 2nd course menu and told her to bring it all out once. She didn't know what to think of us. The she put olive oil, balsamic vinegar and parmesan on the table..probably for Dot's salad. But she also brought a yummy bowl of bread. So I asked for a plate (she couldn't figure out why, but gave it to me) and we proceeded to mix up our dipping sauce for the bread. it was the best thing on the table.

So, for our last meal in Italy, it was a bit disappointing. Dee had gnocchi in a cream sauce with bacon, which was pretty good. I ordered papardillo with wild boar ragu, which tasted like Ragu. They didn't have gelato. I thought Dee was going to cry.

The pizza looked better than anything else. But our host picked us up promptly and picked up a pizza when he did, because him and his fiancee had cooked soy burgers for dinner that did not go over well. Pizza saved the day.

Long day tomorrow. Leaving the B&B at 8 am for our flight to Newark. 3 hour layover, then home at 7 pm your time, 2 am Italy time. ugh.

Hope Mary chimes in at some point.

Thanks for following our adventures.


Advertisement



27th May 2013

It was a great trip. I loved France for the area we visited was very laid back and relaxing. However, Italy is propbably my favorite...everyone takes their dogs with them everywhere...even in the grocery stores...a good majority of them very well behaved
...and of course GELATO...which I've provin you can never have to much of! Thank you Dot, Chris, Mary and Paul for the fun adventure.
27th May 2013

I loved folowwing your antics. the food adventures were by far the most intersting. I just saw a commercial for gellato, so I'll have to buy some HagenDas.
27th May 2013

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the blog. Following your adventures was the high point of my evenings. Travel safely ladies and call me when you get in.
27th May 2013

It was a great trip. I loved France for the area we visited was very laid back and relaxing. However, Italy is propbably my favorite...everyone takes their dogs with them everywhere...even in the grocery stores...a good majority of them ver
y well behaved...and of course GELATO...which I've provin you can never have to much of! Thank you Dot, Chris, Mary and Paul for the fun adventure.
28th May 2013

Glad you had such a wonderful trip. Thoroughly enjoyed your adventures. Thanks for sharing with us!!! Travel safe!
28th May 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed your blogs. Been to some of the same places minus the numerous gelatos. Gary as usual missed a great time. Oh well.
28th May 2013

Have a safe trip home! I enjoyed all your stories and pictures. Italy looked especially beautiful.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb