Best view in the world...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
November 5th 2005
Published: November 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We woke to the smell of freshly baked warm croissants and floated downstairs on the aroma.

Let me clarify, our accom this time was what they call an Agrotourista which basically means a farmhouse for tourists. Usually its a husband and wife deal, they have extra rooms and rent them out to travellers, serve them meals, let them help out on the farm etc. This one was a bit more upmarket than that, but VERY cool and still VERY authentic.

Today was going to be a real struggle....not. Absolutely beautiful day, not a whisper of a cloud in the sky and after breakfast we were going to walk 20 mins up the road to learn about wine making and then enjoy a homecooked lunch over some tastings.....

We had a blissful sleep although I suspect there is a dog breeding program we dont know about going on in Priocca, I swear I counted 300 different barks last night!

So off on the walk, I got to meet all 300 dogs, and yes I was right, there is at least 300 dogs in Priocca, probably about 10 dogs for every resident. Walking past their yards they all snarled and growled...and were all about the size of large cats. Italians and dogs...they love them.

We arrived at the vineyard at the top of a series of rolling hills, all covered in grapes as far as the eye can see. WE were explained the process of organic wine making and shown through the winery, it was really interesting, and really made us thristy 😊

We walked out onto a landing with picnic tables overlooking the rolling vineyards and the taster bottles came out.

Now I'm no wine connisseur (sp) but I know good stuff from bad, and this was soooo good. We tried a variety of wines, but the best wine was a very plummy, dark berry like flavoured wine and we devoured numerous bottles between the group.

After an hour, our lunch arrived.....fresh spaghetti with roasted vegetables and shaved parmesan. DIVINE.

So here we are, sitting on top of this mountain, overlooking the best possible postcard you could ever imagine, the most perfect weather, most perfect wine, most perfect company (Jules).......I almost cried. Moments like this truley make life worth living.

I bought a bottle of the best wine (for only 18 Euro!) and found out that it sells for $98US in the states...next time, I should buy a few cases and fund the trip!

What a day....going to be hard to top this.....

Advertisement



17th November 2005

wine!!!
Chardonnay... did someone say Chardonnay!!! hehe If i know Jules you'll be bringing back a few cases in her belly :)

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb