Dressed to the Nines


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
October 25th 2006
Published: November 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning, we had planned to take the Venice Aquabus to its furthest destinations, the islands of Burano and Tronchetto. Burano is supposedly like a smaller Murano, and Tronchetto is the first island settled in the area and full of history. Unfortuantely, it was very foggy this morning, so we decided to move inland to Milan.

Milan is only about 90 minutes from Venice and is on the way to Lake Como, so we decided to stop in to see the Duomo Cathedral and have some lunch. Little did we know, driving into and around this massive city is no easy task! It was like Udine times one hundred. Once we finally parked the car (1.5 hours after exiting the freeway) and walked out onto Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, we were able to breathe a sigh of relief...except that we found ourselves to be woefully underdressed! This pedestrian thoroughfare is lined with clothing shops and is where people congregate to see and be seen. There are literally people walking down the street in catwalk style, showing off the latest duds. Too bad there is no room in our bags for any new clothes!!

After lunch we walked over to the imposing Duomo Cathedral, the 3rd largest church in the world built in 1386 (and the following 500 years). You can pay to take a lift up to the roof where you can walk all around and check out the flying buttresses, statuary, and views of the city. It rivals Notre Dame in Paris from the outside, although the inside is not as interesting. The trip to the roof is definitely a Must Do. There are a ton of hidden statues and courtyards that are not visible from below.

We had hoped to see "The Last Supper" by Leonardo DaVinci while in Milan, but with traffic challenges we were unable to make it over to the church where it is kept before closing time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



30th November 2006

Cingular?
Ha, that watchmen picture looks like one of those Cingular commercials.

Tot: 0.464s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 37; qc: 142; dbt: 0.2138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb