On the Piste


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Maggiore
February 10th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

P2060765P2060765P2060765

Rainy day, built sallys lego gift
Friday 5th.
Cold with snow in the campsite, probably a lot of snow at high level so we kept the heating warm and stayed in the van reading most of the day, with a break to take a stroll into the village.
Saturday was still pretty poor weather wise, so it was togged up for a walk in the local woods followed by an afternoon watching the start of the Six Nations rugby.

Sunday7th.
Was a much better day so we headed for the Funicular railway Which goes from Bourg St. Maurice to Les Arcs 1600. Then on a free bus to Les Arcs 1950m Which has a very pretty village, real picture postcard alpine resort with bars, restaurants etc. .. and amazing views. We then took a cabriolet lift to Les Arcs 2000 and finally a bubble lift to Aguille Rouge 3226m Which is just below the peak of Mount Pourri. It was a good sunny day and -12 although it was well worth the effort as the views across to Mont Blanc are stunning. Only damper on the day was watching Scotland lose to France.

Monday 8th.
We had our last day in France in Val Cenis
P2070768P2070768P2070768

Campsite in Bourg St. Maurice
ski resort at Lanslevillard near the Col du Mont Cenis pass. We had Hoped to travel to Italy over the pass but it was closed (as were all the other high-level roads) due to snow, so we were forced on Tuesday to go through the Frejus tunnel into Italy. The tunnel cost 46 Euros Which is pretty steep (which blew our budget for the week, no cappuccinos for me!) However the alternative very long diversion meant we stumped up and moaned for at least an hour about the French idea of "equality" as only mug tourists and business vehicles were on this route. The day was not saved by arriving at the campsite only open in Torino (Turin) which was almost deserted, really grimy and they stung us for 27 Euros, we were not happy campers!

Wednesday 10th
Our plan was to visit Lake Maggiore and so full of enthusiasm we set off with two possible camp spots from our trusted guide book / DVD only to find them both closed, after the entry listing them as open, and after some searching it turns out local No sites are open, so campers for Lake Maggiore is closed. Disappointed we
P2070769P2070769P2070769

View from Les Arcs 1950
diverted to Milan and found a good site open with a good bus / metro service into the city center. So we will visit Michael Angelo's 'The Last Supper' instead.

We have bought with us a route planning map purchased in Scotland before we departed, however the scale is so small that it only carries trunk roads and autoroutes, which appear not to be numbered, so is next to useless for navigating. We also have a 'Guide Italy' Which is the Italian equivalent of 'All the Aires', however it contains no GPS, our sat nav does not Recognize the addresses listed and so has so far Proved useless at identifying overnight stops for us. Still it is early days yet!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

P2070772P2070772
P2070772

Village of Les Arcs 1950
P2070783P2070783
P2070783

Mont Blanc. (big one on the left)
P2070787P2070787
P2070787

The happy couple at Aguille Rouge. Mont Blanc in the background
La Tania La Tania
La Tania

-12. Photo of our Aire thanks to Nick and Emma.
La TaniaLa Tania
La Tania

Aire at night. Photo thanks to Nick and Emma.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb