Hiking Cinque Terre..Whos Idea was this??!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
June 19th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We left nice and early to start our hike. Stuffed ourselves with focaccia for breakfast and started on our way. We started from the village Montorosso. The first part of the hike was extremely hard. We did ok for the first half hour. By the hour, Angele was falling behind because her knee was starting to bug her. And by the time an hour and a half rolled around I thought I was going to die! I swear it wasn't this hard last year, but it could just be that im getting older and out of shape? Anyways, we dipped our feet in the ocean in Vernazza and enjoyed some fresh fruit and Gelati for lunch. Then it was time to continue the torture...I mean the hike...again. This portion was not as bad as the first. But i did have Kate infront of me flinging random branches in my face, as well as Angele behind me tripping and trying to take me out with her. I swear it was some sort of conspiracy against me! There were a lot of random cats along this portion and a big bin of catfood. They depend on the tourists to take the food out and feed them. The third village was Corniglia. There is one main street that leads to a lookout point. You can see the 2 other villages along the coastline, another beautiful view to add to the list 😊 We had a bit of a wander and tried to find the WC´s but they all seemed to be on "siesta" (ie. locked and closed). So we continued on. It only took about 45min to get to Manarola, the village we were staying at. And the terrain was not bad at all. Finally, a WC by the trainstation which was an adventure all on its own. The only stall in the ladies room didn´t flush, so I used the mens. Then Kate was trying to change into her bathing suit inside the ladies WC door but this man kept coming and standing at the door trying to talk to his wife who was in the stall. All very interesting. Anyways, just as we were about to continue the hike, Angele had managed to lose her ticket. So we had to buy a new one. The last leg of the hike only took about 30min and was almost completely flat. The last village was Riomaggiore, we wandered around and got some provisions for dinner as well as more gelati. Then we headed back to Manorola to finish off the day. Though it was raining slightly, we decided it would be a good idea to go swimming. There was nobody else in the water but us three upto our knees in the freezing ocean. I had decided it was too cold, but of course Kate jumped in and Angele was involuntarily pushed in by a wave. So I couldn´t be the wimp. I got the snorkels and jumped in as well. It was a grand old time and spectators had fun watching us make fools of ourselves. Then before you know it, 10 others had decided to get in as well. Angele and I snorkeled and Kate paddled around. When the water got too cold to handle anymore (a good half hour), we got out and bought more provisions for dinner...ham, cheese, crackers and of course cheap wine! We had our last meal together with Kate at the hostel, it was a lovely dinner, but also really sad because she was leaving us the next day.
Amie

Advertisement



10th July 2006

you should have taken the train
You obviously didnt learn anything from last year. The train is where it is at in that neck of the woods. Doing that hike is totally overrated. :) However, the view is definately beautiful. Cheers, Cathy P.s Cheap Wine.... I wouldnt expect anything different for you!!
10th July 2006

Hiking
My goodness it sounds like you guys are a bunch of wimps!! I would have thought by now you would be in great shape for those hikes. The swimming sounds great, especially if there were not many people around. I know we usually saw lots of people in the water where ever we went. Kate sounds like a great person, where is she from? You never know how things go, you may meet up with her again some day.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb