Amore Italia!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
September 8th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all! Sorry its been so long since we last posted a message - we have just been having too good a time really! We spent 6 nights in Sorrento and were joined by Tania and Victoria for part of it. Thanks for making the trip down from London girls!! We had a fantastic time here. Our hotel here was literally OVER the water. The views were amazing. We also did lots of eating, drinking and swimming. We also went to Pompei, Capri and down to Amalfi and Positano. The water there was amazing - so blue and clear. the beaches were pebbles which were actually very relaxing to lounge on - like a hot stone massage! The highlight of Capri was going to the Blue Grotto. Bit of a scary experience though as the seas were rough and they closed the grotto as soon as we came out. I was laying on top of Pete and then had the boat driver laying on top of me completely squashing me to get back out of the grotto! It was really beautiful (as you can see from the picture). We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

We then moved on to Rome. Also had an amazing time there. I (Sarah) just love it - everywhere you turn there is a beautiful building, statue or fountain. It really is one of my favourite cities. We visited the usual sites - the vatican (stumbled upon the Pope giving a sermon out the front of St Peters which was nice), the colosseum, trevi fountain (much better with water in it Kate!), spanish steps and lots of piazzas. 3 nights was probably not quite long enough so its on our list for next time!

So we are now in Montersso on the cinque terre. yesterday we did the walk between the 5 towns. it wasnt as hard as we expected but the part after lunch in the heat was a challenge. the views were amazing and it was well worth the walk. our guide books says that the walk can be done in 5 hours by 'strong' hikers. we did it in less than that.... think it's a misprint in the book! when we got back we just collapsed into the water. we are staying in a place called casa de limone here (translation - house of lemons). its set on the hill in a lemon grove. its run by a really sweet old lady and is really modern and trendy. last night when we got home we had some homemade lemonchello (but made with mandarins) with her. its lovely except for the steps up to it (see petes comment below).

ok, well we are off to dinner at a restaurant right at the top of the hill tonight which apparently gets worldwide reviews (they even send a bus down to collect you). We are going with some australians who we met on the train from Rome (and also had dinner with on Friday night). hope you are all well. please keep us up to date with your news - we love hearing it.

Petes Update - plenty of walking, food, wine, pack mule duties at times are very hard what with our B&B almost on top of a cliff and only steps up there...steep rocky steps!! Glad to be in Cinque De Terre and ready for a rest.. It is hard work but well worth it. Wouldn't change a thing (oh apart from we are now going to Salzburg for 2 nights instead of 3 nights in Munich). We are both well
Victoria, Sarah and TaniaVictoria, Sarah and TaniaVictoria, Sarah and Tania

Dinner over the water in Sorrento
and happy, which is the most important thing, we do miss our friends and family but know they will all be there to take us out for dinner when we get back...Hint Hint!! Mrs Bateup maybe you could help organise a dinner.. We will be back in the week of 12 November, maybe that next weekend?? Also will be looking forward to a game of golf. Paul are we still going to Mittagong??


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



10th September 2007

Rome Favourite
You are so right Sarah. Rome is a beautiful city. It is also my favourite and also the European city I'm most inclined to spend more time in. While you stumbled into the pope, Emma and I arrived in Rome on Easter Sunday a few years back and did not even think of visiting the Vatican. Good christians we are!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb