Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 27th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi again. In Athens now. Have spent the day sightseeing. Not too hot a day as it was quite windy. Not sure how this is affecting the fires. People here are certainly very concerned and there were small pieces of ash falling in the streets yesterday. It is very bad news for Greece.

We have enjoyed wandering around the Acropolis and surrounds and the stadium where the first Olympics were held today. We got up really early and went up to the Acropolis for opening (8am). Well worth the early morning as by 9am the place was swarming with tour groups. We have a not so affectionate name for this - TGT (stands for tour group trample - all the sheep following the lead sheep who will trample any one in their way!!). It was also good to see it before the sun warmed up. It is a truly imposing structure with amazing views of Athens. Most of it was being restored (as usual - everything has been under restoration on this trip!). Not to worry we had a good look around and got some good photos where we look like the only people there!

We have been enjoying the Greek food too - yummy salads and gyros. The salads here are way better than at home. We have both developed a taste for fetta cheese.

Saw a funny site last night. In a square not far from the hotel groups of africans lay sheets on the ground and sell fake brand name bags and wallets off the sheets. When they hear word of police approaching (as happenend last night) they pick up the 4 corners of their sheets and scatter with their wares! It was quite amusing to watch. The police (about 10 of them - they travel in groups here) didn't do much when they got there (maybe its a show they do for tourists each night!). As soon as the police were gone they were set back up again. Some even setting up in the corners of the square when the police had turned their backs.

Ok, well that's it for now. We are off to see the rest of the sights and the National Archaeological Musuem tomorrow. We can't add photos right now as the hotel won't let the usb port be used. Will post some next time.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb