5 Terre Continued


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

Again, a lot to update on. My email was not accessible in our hotel in the Lakes - something about blocked websites, privacy and the mafia? I didn't get it, and had a minor freak out when I realised I couldn't access any of my websites that require login and password. Did a quick check and the bank balance hadn't been tampered with, and my friend Carol logged into my email from the UK to make sure it was still working (thanks!!).

The rest of the Cinque Terre was magical. It rained a bit, but is such a special part of the world. Robyn, Dan and I hiked from Vernazza to Corniglia and just missed being caught in a very strong but very quick storm. We continued on to Manarola and caught the train home.

Dan and Robyn had been to the fish markets early and bought some fresh seafood....they cooked up a storm of pasta with calamari and scampi and then grilled a couple of bream in the pan. Katherine, Dan and I headed out for some more chili choc gelato and were mortified to find the gelato place shut. Kat and I headed to the Blue Marlin for "just one mojito" and ended up meeting some crazy New Yorkers who intended on running the entire 5 Terre and back in one day!!

The next day Kat left for Milan. I was feeling a little hungover and Robyn wasn't too well (not sure if it was the seafood or not - we were all ok ecept her) so we had a late start and set out for Camogli and Portofino. It was a bit of a mission from the 5 Terre and we didn't realise you could only get to Portofino by boat (and the two trains we'd already caught). We ended up staying in Camogli which is great - it was a lot less touristy than 5 Terre, with lots of Italians enjoying the Sunday afternoon. Genova (local football team) were playing Mantua and it was quite entertaining watching Italians get passionate about their sport....everyone in every shop seemed to be watching it.

We went to check out Cenobio dei Dogi, a gorgeous hotel mum had stayed in previously. I have vowed to stay there next time I go back (and I will!) as it has spectacular views of the ocean, coupled with a great pool & sun deck!!

We retired to Vernazza for our last evening and a brilliant sunset. As it was Sunday night it was hard to find somewhere open for dinner around 9.30 - which is the time we've become accustomed to eating, as it is light for so long! Also being on holidays we didn't realise it actually WAS Sunday night!

The next day we left the Cinque Terre and it was a gorgeous day....which seems to be the theme!! More to come.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View from Cenobio dei DogiView from Cenobio dei Dogi
View from Cenobio dei Dogi

Where I will be staying next time i am there!!


11th June 2007

Accomodation
Hi Your site and photos are fabulous. Can you please suggest a nice place to stay near the water centrally located where we can explore all 5 towns? We are 3 people. cheers Michele
13th June 2007

Accommodation
Hi Michele, we did a lot of research and chose the town of Vernazza to stay in. It's one of the smaller towns in Cinque Terre but the prettiest and has a lot of charm. It has a small harbour which you can swim in, but if you want the beach I qwould stay in Monterosso, but it is bigger and more touristy. You can get between the 5 towns by train and ferry so I still think Vernazza was the best. We had a great apartment, was 2 mins from the water, no water view (these will be hard to find in an apartment) but was only 100E a night for 4. Website is below - good luck! http://www.5terre-vernazza.it/affittacamere.htm

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb