Rome at Night


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 21st 2016
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 My Pasta01 My Pasta01 My Pasta

This pasta was named after me - Pasta Julia.
Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

We got off the train at Termini Station and walked towards our apartment. On the way we stopped at an amazing supermarket and even though we were buggered and just wanted to get back and rest, we still spent quite a bit of time here getting excited about all the yummy food. Even more exciting was that I found a pasta brand called Pasta Julia.

Finally we choose what to eat for dinner and some food for tomorrow. We were now prepared for supermarket shopping and came prepared with plastic bags as we didn't want to have to pay for any more of the them! We crossed the piazza and were now back in our apartment. The first thing was I did was sit on the couch and put my legs up, they were tired! After a refreshing shower we started to prepare dinner, which was pretty easy. We ate salad and delicious pasta with various fillings and sauces. While the pasta was cooking I enjoyed the views from the many windows in our apartment.

Tonight is our last night in Rome and also our last chance to see the city by night. We left at 8pm and walked towards
02 From the Apartment02 From the Apartment02 From the Apartment

The view of Santa Maria Maggiore from our apartment.
the Colosseum. This building looked great at night as it was well lit up and looked pretty good in our photos. We took quite a few photos of it and then walked closer to the Arch of Constantine, another ancient landmark. This was also lit up. In front of the Colosseum is one of the 40 or so horses displayed around the city as part of a modern art display by Mexican artist Gustavo Aceves. This display has a political message behind it regarding mass migration.

We continued our walk along Via dei Fori Imperiali and onto Via Alessandrina. Here we walked past many ruined forums of various emperors. At the Forum of Augustus there was a light installation being displayed. The installation was visible to everyone but only the people that paid were able to sit down and here the information through headphones. We stayed a few minutes and watched. It was about the time when Augustus was emperor. We thought it was best to keep walking instead of stopping for too long. Next we came to Trajan's Markets and once again this ruin was well lit up.

We walked past Trajan's Column, various churches, stopped to photograph the Vittoriano
03 From the Kitchen03 From the Kitchen03 From the Kitchen

The view from the kitchen window.
which looked beautiful and quite grand at night. The Vittoriano was still open and this was our last chance to visit it, so we dragged our tired legs up the steps to as far as we could go without paying. From up here there was a great view of Trajan's Markets and Forum. I also noticed that there were hardly any cars on the roads.

I led us along Via del Corso and our next stop was Santa Maria in Via Lata. This church is right on the street and therefore does not have a welcome piazza in front of it, also making it hard to see the facade. We couldn't stay in here very long as they were closing for the night. We took a few photos of this beautiful, richly decorated church and then I noticed on the ground a familiar name. It was the tomb of Antonio Barberino with the symbolic bees.

Virtually across the road was another church, San Marcello al Corso. It was open, so we went in for a look around. This church was very elaborate inside, so much detail in the decoration and its main colours are white and gold. Churches in Rome
04 From the Living Room04 From the Living Room04 From the Living Room

The view from the living room window.
are an art gallery in themselves. The ceiling wasn't full of frescoes, but wooden and decorated with red, blue and gold.

The streets of Rome were still quite busy with pedestrians but much less cars than during the day. We then walked past Sant'Ignazio di Loyola and recognised this church as one that we visited on walking tour. Then a few minutes later we were at Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon was now closed and this piazza was much quieter than during the day. We continued our walk and stopped again in Piazza Navona.

Here we walked up and down the piazza and took photos of the various fountains and churches. The fountains are really well lit up at night. We were now tired and had seen enough of Rome at night, so we found Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and walked along it. We were now at the Roman Forum. Here there was also a light installation show. After watching it for a few minutes we continued our walk back to our apartment.

Before going to sleep, I finished off packing my suitcase, as tomorrow morning we were leaving Rome and travelling north to Florence.




Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

05 Dinner05 Dinner
05 Dinner

Michael enjoying our dinner of pasta and salad.
06 Dinner06 Dinner
06 Dinner

I am enjoying our dinner - pasta and salad.
07 All Lit Up07 All Lit Up
07 All Lit Up

The Colosseum is all lit up at night.
08 All Lit Up08 All Lit Up
08 All Lit Up

The other half of the Colosseum.
09 Colosseum09 Colosseum
09 Colosseum

The Colosseum and I.
10 Looking Up10 Looking Up
10 Looking Up

Standing close and looking up at the Colosseum.
11 Standing Close11 Standing Close
11 Standing Close

Standing close and looking up at the Colosseum.
12 Layers12 Layers
12 Layers

The layers of the Colosseum are visible.
13 Arch 13 Arch
13 Arch

The Arch of Constantine is next to the Colosseum.
14 Whole14 Whole
14 Whole

A view of the entire landmark.
15 Horse15 Horse
15 Horse

One of the horses displayed around Rome as part of a modern art display.
16 Light Installation16 Light Installation
16 Light Installation

The light installation at the Forum of Augustus.
17 Light Installation17 Light Installation
17 Light Installation

The light installation at the Forum of Augustus.
18 Market18 Market
18 Market

Trajan's Market is all lit up.
19 Market19 Market
19 Market

Trajan's Market is all lit up.
20 Market20 Market
20 Market

Trajan's Market is all lit up.
21 Market21 Market
21 Market

Trajan's Market is all lit up.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb