Ancient Rome-ing


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 10th 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8894, 12.4946

Today we just about walked our feet off!

We headed off to the colosseum, munching bread on the way, as we had 9.20am tickets for a guided tour of the Colosseo. The extra E9 charge for the tour of the underground regions and the top layer of the Colosseo were well worth it (and only charged for the adults), as the guide took us into the otherwise inaccessible parts below the "stage", where you can still see the holes where the winching machines were, and the areas where the wild animals were kept. It is remarkable that this structure was built in only 8 years - I am certain the modern Italians couldn't do it, or the modern Australians - and they did it without heavy machinery or cranes! Matthew was in his element, asking questions of the guide nonstop! We then went up...and up...and up, to the highest level that is accessible. Not only did this have great views over the Colosseo, but a fantastic view of the Roman Forum, where we were headed.

Across to the Palatine Hill, where we saw the remains of the ancient aquaduct, bringing fresh water to the palaces of the emperors. The Romans have always believed that it was at this site that the foundlings, Romulus and Remus, founded the city, and we were amazed when Cathy took us to see the early Bronze Age huts (from the time of Romulus) which have recently been unearthed here. We also saw the palace of Emperor Augustus (44BC), and the baths complexes. The Palatine hill also offered great views across to the Circus Maximus - only from up high can you appreciate the size of it - 3 times larger than the MCG! 600m long, 200m wide, and able to accommodate 300,000 people to watch the chariot racing!

We were then a little pushed for time, so quickly went through the Roman Forum, past the rows of 2000 year old shops, to the Temple of the Vestal Virgins, and to the crematorium of Julius Caesar - still covered in flowers! We also ducked into the Curia (meeting place of the Senate of Rome) to see the bas reliefs showing Trajan's destruction of the tax records and feeding of the children (acts of charity after the conquering of Dacia.

As an aside, there is so much archaeology going on here, and amazing new discoveries and theories constantly! There is so much of Ancient Rome, every where you look, in this part of Rome. And yet, in the 1930s, Mussolini was able to destroy a whole swathe of ancient monuments so that he could build a new wide road - Via dei Fori Imperiali -from his palace to the colosseum - for that alone, he should be recorded as a vandal on the pages of history. By contrast, the construction of the "new" Metro Line C is 21 years behind schedule because of constant archaeological discoveries.

A quick lunch at a stall on the road - and yet, still great food (focaccia with mushrooms and cheese, or chicken for the kids)!

We had 1.30pm tickets for Domus Romane - THE best thing to see in Rome! I was sceptical - the internet gave no real idea- but it was incredible. They have recently found, under the 16th century palazzo (Palazzo Valentini) that houses State offices, an incredible sumptuous Roman Villa, and are slowly bringing it to life! We walked over glass floors suspended above the floors of the villa, marvelled at the hot sauna, cold pools and tepid rooms for relaxing - and thought of the slaves, stoking the furnace down below - and were amazed by the sumptuous marble floors and walls. We went into the villa rooms, and saw the remains of a grand staircase. It seems that the villa was destroyed by an earthquake and resulting fire. But they are still expands their discoveries - a neighbouring villa with a mosaic floor, and now a massive column, bigger than Trajan's column, found broken on the ground.... It was incredible. We also got to see a short film on Trajan's Column, and then followed a bomb shelter route for an amazing, up close view of Trajan's column. The way they have used technology - using lights to fill in the mosaic floor, or to recreate the painted walls of the villa, was incredible!!

Our legs were giving way. A gelati stop was wonderful, and we ate on the steps of the Victor Emmanuelle II monument. Then a bus ride, up through the Borghese Gardens - Cathy says we must return to see the Gallery next time - the gardens are huge, and must be wonderful in spring and summer! Then to the (Scalinata della Trinita di Monti) Spanish Steps, misnamed because they were built and paid for by the French! On the bus (a mini electric one) back past Piazza Del Popolo, and back home to Ludos Magnus (the gladiator barracks and training arena next to the Colosseo) and home.

We were exhausted. We bought some supplies at the supermarket in our street, fed the kids and ourselves...I was asleep on the couch by 8pm, and didn't wake for 13 hours. But what an amazing day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb