Rome the ancient city


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 14th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!
Well we arrived safely in Rome, long wait at Heathrow and if we hadn't been early, a tailwind, we would have missed our connection.
Took a taxi from the airport and saw roman ruins on way in, think they are the ones you talked about Judy.
Our hotel only about five minutes from the Colesseum! clean and bed good! price good too!
We wandered around the first night, arrived about 4 pm, totally awed by this ancient city by night! all is floodlit. We had pizza and wine outside overlooking part of ancient Rome.

First day, after waking at 2 pm!we were able to sleep a little more and were awakened by our continental breakfast that we had asked for at 7.30am.

We made our way to meet our"Angel" from the tours of the same name. We walked the Roman Forum area and we can't describe the history and feeling of awe. We are such significant beings!! We ended up our tour at the Colesseum. The tourists are everywhere, oops what are we!! With aching feet we staggered back to our room for a quick feet up! After a short sojurn we headed out walked I think it is called Via Corso, what a narrow road for one so busy! you take your life in your hands to try and cross a road here! no one takes any notice of what we call, pedestrian crossings! We did eventually find Amanda's gelato place and we took a picture, Amanda, just for you and had one of us eating1! I had lemon, good Ravi, peach and mango and much refreshed as it was very humid we continued our walk.
We then walked to St.Peter's in Chains and then the walked the Pantheon until we were whistled out at dusk!
Our evening ended with pasta and of course wine! I was asleep by 9.30 pm!

Second day, we decided to visit the San Sebastian catacombs! What an experience we arrived early so only three of us on a tour! I can't describe the feeling of being underground, we walked about 2 miles and there are, I believe, over 600miles of catacombs! We ended up at the church and that too was incredible.
Next visit was the Vatican and it started to rain, is still pouring as I write this! I am so glad we had also booked another tour with the Angels. Incidentally Sean owns them! today we had Shane take us through the Cistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica.
The Cistine Chapel is an incredible experience, too many people, of course, and those idiots who even though they are not supposed to, try to take pictures. So the guards were either yelling at them to stop taking pictures or shushing everyone to be quiet!
Peter was rather disappointed with St. Peter's, felt we should have seen nuns and priests but it was all tourists!
I forgot to mention that we saw a nun on a cell phone at Rome airport on arrival, thought this rather funny!
We took the subway back to our room and were going to the Trevi fountain tonight but it is pouring with rain!
We pick up our car tommorrow and off the Assisi for our next part of the holiday.

Just to let everyone know we are having trouble activating our phone, so don't try and reach us by it!!

Ciao Peter and Carolyn



Advertisement



15th September 2006

Grazie Grazie!
Sounds like you are having a blast! Glad you had some gelato. We Hope you have a safe trip to Assisi. Looking froward to the next blog :)

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb