Easter Sunday


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 5th 2015
Published: April 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Up later today … with the bells of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva … and heavy rain with thunder. After a relaxing breakfast on the roof we set out for a walk toward the Piazza di Spagna. After walking through the crowds we started toward the Museo d’Arte Orientale. We found a great little shop that sold discount silk scarves, with a wonderful owner who had lived in New York and proudly stated that he had been with his Scandinavian wife for 43 years. We had some fun chatting with him and he recommended a local restaurant, L’Archetto, for good pasta and pizza. We stopped in for a small pizza (prosciutto and artichoke and olives) and a bowl of spinach. Simple and terrific.

Then off to the Oriental Museum, which seemed to be taking forever to get to. Finally discovered John had take us in a circle – a nice circle around the back of Trajan’s market – but still a circle. A quick taxi ride got us to the museum, which had some fine pieces and especially some modern art from Iran. The news about a treaty with Iran on nuclear weapons is a wonderful opening for everyone to start visiting the art and history of Persia.

After the museum we went back to the Pantheon area and wandered for a bit. Peggy discovered a Lindt Chocolate shop and John uncovered the famous GROM gelato location. And then some rest at the hotel.

We went for a long walk before dinner, skirting and walking through the Piazza Navonna with all its artists and crowds. In the midst of the crowds is the Church of St Agnes, which is small but quite unique and round. Very beautiful and we took time to light candles for each of the family and friends who have passed on or who are dear and close to us.

Then off to dinner at Osteria al Vecchio Pegno where we had dinner a few nights ago. Peggy wanted her Easter dinner of lamb and potatoes and John wanted another taste of the gluten-free pasta (incredibly edible). Along with an Ornellaia super Tuscan for a mere E30 we had a wonderful and relaxing few hours. The owner and the general manager both came to the table to see how we were doing, which was quite enjoyable. Nice people, great food and good vibes. We walked home happy and VERY full.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb