When in Rome, do as the Romans do.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 30th 2014
Published: September 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 3

Italy could be called one large museum as a whole. The place is full of millions of artifacts, the culture is enriched with artistic talent, and all the ancient buildings are beyond breathtaking. Throughout our journey in Rome, Donna and I discovered many artifacts preserved at museums, saw dozens of inspirational pieces of art, learnt an abundance of facts about the Italian culture, and got a chance to really look into the Italian lifestyle.

We stayed at a low-cost hotel near a residential area so we could really see what it was like to live in Rome. We tried to blend into the crowd, visited a couple little cafes and were engulfed in the aroma of freshly brewed espresso. We enjoyed an exotic caffeinated drink before making our way to a couple famous tourist destinations in Rome.

The first place we visited was a contemporary art museum called The Marco. This museum is one of the newer ones in Rome and really stood out from all the others since most other artistic facts preserved here are known to be quite ancient. Donna and I decided to visit this museum before any other so that we could compare and contrast art from two completely different time spans. We saw some exclusive pieces made using LED's, pieces of plastic, and many other materials. The culture of art didn't end inside the museum though, as we exited the place and made our way to the parking lot we were able to see the remains of an ancient Roman house unearthed during the restoration.

By the time we made our way out of the Museum it was midday. We drove up to Gianicolo Hill and walked up the hill. We reached the top just in time to hear the cannon that fires every single day at midday since the battle for Rome was won. We then just sat there and felt the nice, cool breeze at the top of the hill caress our faces as we enjoyed the breathtaking view before our eyes. We heard a few birds chirping near us, could feel the fresh grass underneath us, and it was one of the most natural and beautiful experiences of my life.

Finally, it was the best part of the day. We drove up to the local market and bought a loaf of bread at the bakery. We then went to Campo dei Fiori Market where we were able to taste a few different types of balsamic vinegars and olive oils. As it became quite dark outside we made our way to one of the many bars skirting the place and got a chance to admire the bright lights, listen loud music, met some great people, and had an amazing time overall!

I personally believe we need to visit Rome again, because these experiences to me seem like nothing compared to all the culture we yet have to explore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb