Days 3 & 4 – Colosseum and the Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 17th 2014
Published: May 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Sacred RoadThe Sacred RoadThe Sacred Road

The main part of the Forum showing the Sacred Road
Today we have a tour of the Colosseum and have to be at our meeting site at 9:15. We leave the hotel around 8:00 knowing we have plenty of time as it is about a 35 minute walk. A friend, (Lia) that recently took the same tour, suggested we pick up a sandwich as there are no good places to get a bite around the Colosseum during the 30-minute break. During our previous walks around Rome we noticed there are many small stores where sandwiches are pre-made so on our way to our tour we picked up a couple. These small shops are like ABC stores in Hawaii meaning they are on about every corner.

We arrive in plenty of time. However we are having difficulty finding the meeting spot. After walking in circles for 20 minutes we get directions from a police officer and realize we are going to have to run to make it on time. The Colosseum is one of the major reasons we came to Rome and we don’t want to miss our tour. Like the situation at Heathrow when we scrambled to get the gate to find that they hadn’t started boarding yet, we arrive at the meeting site to find that there was one more person that was later than us, whew. After 10 minutes we catch our breath and meet the other people in our group.

The first part of the tour was the Roman Forum and since it is so big this is a situation where having a guide is very valuable. Since the Forum had been buried for many years, targeted for destruction and looted, it was difficult to tell what the ruins would have looked like in their full glory. The guide had some nice visuals with a picture of the current structure along with an overlay showing what it originally looked like. Our guide was very passionate about architecture and history as her education was in archeology. She provided so much historical information there was no way we could absorb 1/100th of what she shared. As we walked down the Sacred Road our guide asks us to imagine that we are walking the same steps as Caesar, Cleopatra, and other prominent historical figures.

The Romans wanted to ensure that there was always a fire burning. The belief is that everything would fall apart if there was no
Overlooking the ColosseumOverlooking the ColosseumOverlooking the Colosseum

From the top of the hill overlooking the Colosseum
fire. Young girls are picked at a very young age (5, 6, or 7) to dedicate most of their lives to keeping the fire alive. Ten young girls are picked each year and learn from their “elders” how to maintain the fire. The term of service is 30 years and they must remain virgins. Along with the responsibility come privileges as well, things like front row seats at the Colosseum.

After a short lunch break we head over to the Colosseum. Due to renovations, many areas are not available to access. The guide provided a lot of information but the real treat was just walking around and imaging what it was like back when it was completed in 80 AD. It only took 10 years to build it, considering the technology we have today it took longer to build the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge. Aside from the crowds it was amazing to be inside and get an up close view of a real piece of history. It was easy to see how the Colosseum has influenced current day stadiums as the layouts are not much different. Once we were out of the Colosseum the tourists are
Large Used for GamesLarge Used for GamesLarge Used for Games

This was a private area used for athletic events in the Forum
inundated by people selling all kinds of trinkets related to the area, and you can even get a picture with a real Gladiator in full dress if you want, (not really a gladiator but some Italian guy dressed up in a Halloween costume willing to take a few Euros from you).

One of the advantages to taking a tour is direct access to the sites. The lines are extremely long for those not on an arranged tour and our guide said the line was at least an hour just to buy tickets. Well worth the money to go with a tour, who wants to spend their time on vacation standing in line?

The weather was beautiful so at the conclusion of our tour we decided to take a walk. You might be surprised to find out that Jim found his way back to the Open Baladin to enjoy some more beer. Lisa was very happy as she got to have some more deep fried mashed potato balls. Jim was pleased to try more of the beers they had on tap. The selection of beers was amazing, alts, lagers, ales, IPAs, barley wines, and more. After 6 hours of
Inside the ColosseumInside the ColosseumInside the Colosseum

This shows the inside of the Colosseum walking around he perimeter of the outer walkway.
hearing about a lot of old guys that killed other old guys a good beer was just what the doctor ordered.

The number of miles we have walked the last couple of days would be challenging to our feet anyway but add in the fact that the surface is cobblestones makes it more difficult. We decided to head back to the area of our hotel for dinner. Guiseppe has provided some great recommendations for us and he didn’t steer us wrong for dinner tonight either. We had pizzas from a wood-fired oven. Jim got a gorgonzola and sausage pizza and Lisa got a margherita with prosciutto pizza and some house wine that was very good.

Tomorrow we have a tour of the Vatican. Hopefully it will be easier to find our meeting spot.

Miles walked: 10

Miles jogged: .05 (and that is enough for the whole trip

Day 4 – Friday at the Vatican

Luckily no problems finding the tour meeting spot this time. We are warned that this area is bad for pickpocketing so our guide reminds us to pay attention and be aware. Again, we did not have to wait in line. People in line were going to be there for 60 – 90 minutes. And then they had to stand in line again if they wanted the audio portion of the tour. Booking the tours before we left was a very good thing.

The tour included just part of the large museum at the Vatican. Our guide did a great job explaining the various artists works in the museum but we were able to see only just a part of paintings and sculptures on display. The highlights were the Sistine chapel and St Peter’s Basilica. Before we went into the Sistine Chapel, our guide used diagrams to explain the history and each portion of art on the ceiling and walls. Within the chapel you are not supposed talk or take pictures. There are guards all throughout the chapel shushing people that were talking and moving everyone along. To see the frescos painted by Michelangelo in person was a wonderful experience. The chapel is smaller that we thought it would be but the artwork was amazing.

From the Sistine Chapel we went to St Peter’s Basilica. The public can enter without cost so the guide warned us again to watch out for pickpockets. Luckily we had no problems. We have been to many churches throughout our travels and this is definitely the most impressive. There are even preserved bodies of past Popes on display in glass coffins. The only downside is the overcrowded conditions and the fact that people are not very considerate in these conditions. After the tour, Jim said he would be happy if he didn’t have to see another person for the next 3 weeks (except for Lisa, she made sure he was reminded of that fact). The crowds are starting to get old and we are looking forward to some more space. We planned on the most hectic area (Rome) at the first part of our trip so that we can sit back and relax for the rest of it. Even though Rome is hectic, overcrowded with tourists, and crossing any street is taking your life in your hands it is truly a once in a lifetime experience.

No tours scheduled for Saturday so we may just sleep in and give our feet a rest.

Miles walked: 10


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



19th May 2014

walking
perhaps a foot massage is in your future when I get to town - an exchange for dinner :)
19th May 2014

You have a deal!
Our feet our finally getting feeling better but then again we have not been walking as much. Even so there is a dinner in your future.

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb