ITALY - ROME & The VATICAN


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 11th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Well what can i say if you interested in history,and sight seeing mixed with beautiful weather and amazing culture this is the place for you. We went for a week but you could easily fit into a soild weekend we went to Rome of what type of attactions we wanted to see in mind and any thing is would be a plus we went in june when it was very hot indeed there was too air to breathe felt like we were suffocating the sun begain to set about 7 in the evening then the air would drop can get a tad chilly at night but still pleasent and as like the spainish life begain for the italians after dark siesta. Rome is a very photogeneic city to explore not surpising when you know what's here the trevi fountain spainish steps collossem st peter's square the vatican it was like walking to a world of open air art. 2.8 million inhabitants is the population and the time difference is 1 hour ahead 3 hours in the summer to the uk the currency is the euro.Vatican city (Citta del Vaticano), the papal residence, was built over the tomb of Saint Peter. The Vatican's position as a sovereign state within a state was quaranteed by the Lateran Treaty of 1929, marked by the building of a new road, the Via della Conciliazione. This leads from huge St Peter's basilica to Castel Sant' Angelo, a monument to a far grimmer past. Vatican is the smallest state in the world, based in Rome in Italy.Inside the Vatican city we can find 11 Vatican Museums with the restoredMichelangelo's Sistine Chapel, and Vatican Gardens, an enchanted place, a system of large and small gardens, fountain, fish pool and enclousure for rabbits. They date back to medieval times when vineyards and orchards extended to the north of the Apostolic Palace.Vatican radio station broadcasts all over the world in 29 languages, it has it's television station, the dialy newspaper, post office with Vatican stamps, shops, offices and publishing house. All signposted, in highly-sophisticated system of organisation. More than a thousand residents are responsible for the smooth, day-to-day running of this nerve centre of official Christianity, with of course the Pope at its head, all guarded by the Swiss guards.Rome's squares are one of the main attractions of the Italian Capital, perhaps 'the core' of the city itself. In Piazza for meeting each other, to amuse, chat with friends, and for events or for the daily 'happy hour'. Piazza del Campidoglio (on the Capitol Hill) is the headquarter of the Italian Government; Piazza Venezia represents the 'heart of the city'; Piazza Navonadisplays the spectacular Baroque triumphant architecture; Piazza di Spagna is a masterpiece of the XVIII century with its famous Spanish steps we walked around for miles looking for them as they are not sign posted and, last but not least, St Peter's Square is the majestic access to St Peter's Basilica, the centre of Christianity it's 40 euro's to see the lot on wednesday's and sundays you have a chance to see a glimpse of the pope . Colosseum The hugest structure of its type in the ancient Rome, the elliptical-shaped Colosseum, took about ten years to build. The centre of ancientRome entertainment, where the gladiatorial and animal combats were held, surely the top tourist attraction in Rome. which costs 18 euros the dungeons in the colosseum are now open to explore and tours are available. Roman ForumThe central area around which the ancient Rome developed. Administrative and corporate heart of Rome. beware in the heat as we found out so much we could take walking in the swelting heart i had blisters from the walk allow 4 hours around to walk this not really a place for the children if taking any we had to keep buying water for a euro to keep us hydrated. it is free entry if you pay for the colosseum 2 for 1 enty.Pantheon One of the most impressive buildings of the Imperial Rome. Originally dedicated as a temple to "all the gods", therefore the name.Trevi FountainFontana di Trevi, one of the top Rome's attractions that is never to be missed and is beautiful don't forget to throw in a coin and make a wish.

Rome is noisy. It’s loud, it’s chaotic, it is difficult for every day’s life( do the words queues, burocracy and traffic jam ring a bell?) and even a simple experience like taking the bus(usually packed like sardines cans) or crossing at the pedestrian could turn into a nightmare. Just watching the madness of the traffic and the perpetual buzz of motorbikes and cars during the rush hour could be of entertainment and quite an experience we hired a scooter for a day costing 25 euro's i thought i was actually going to die at first but then begain to enjoy the experiance it was crazy. once in Rome, don’t forget to open your eyes and senses, as well, even to the smallest details that will capture the essence and the soul of this city: columns and cats, courtyards and churches, fountains and laundry spreading from the windows, the brownish- orange facades of the buildings, the “motorini” that dart around careless of traffic lights and pedestrians, the coffee ritual in the morning, priests and sunglassed machos. Again, old traditions and new habits, sacred and secular. Entertainment in Rome will just come to you. Apart from the obvious- the monuments- Rome is a feast also for the senses and the taste. How not to mention the food? You can decide to grab a bite of crunchy pizza or a suppli( watch out, as you can literally get addicted to those fried rice balls!) from one of the hundreds “pizza al taglio” shops or sit on one of the manyrestaurants or trattorie and experience a dish of “ carbonara”, a fried artichoke or a piece of “ bruschetta” and you won’t be disappointed. From the suburbs areas like Pigneto or Garbatella to Trastevere or Piazza Navona, you will find restaurants in every corner ready to celebrate the ritual of food of Rome that has made Italians famous everywhere in the world. we found food in Rome its self very expensive but we found a few restaurants where we found our selfs going back to night after night for pizza , lasagna, calazona's (pastys make of pizza dough with fillings inside),spagetti bolognese then salad's in it's self were amazing we found meals that cost 4 euros and of course we found our self's going into the mc donald's just to enjoy chicken nuggets home comfort foods with a beer yes you heard me right a beer why can't this be brought into the uk for 1 euro it was cheaper then water.The costumed gladiators outside the Colosseum are definitely a sight worth seeing. However before you have your photograph taken with them, know that a ‘customary fee’ is part of the equation. Many a tourist has found themselves in a modern day battle to the tune of five Euros and up. In order to avoid unleashing any pent up, medieval aggression, don’t take any pictures with the gladiators, unless you’re prepared to hand over the funds.It is always a good idea to take a water bottle along with you, as you will need to replenish to avoid possible dehydration. Purchasing water from snack carts and restaurants can prove to be a costly exercise. A good option is to purchase water from a supermarket. If you carry an empty bottle on you though, there are plenty of places in Rome where you can always fill up. Generally speaking, public watering places are very safe in Rome. If you are unsure look out for the term ‘Non Potabile’, which means non drinkable water.

Termini Station is the bus travel , train called metro travel passes are very cheap they 1 euro for all day travel. And trains run late into the night and leoardo termini is the mainline train coasts 12 euro's to the airport travel to other area's in italy may vary.

Useful italian pharses -

Salve - hello

Buongiorno - good morning

Buonasera - good evening

Buonanotte - good night

Ciao - hi

Arrivederci - goodbye

A presto - see you soon

Si - yes

Quanto? - how much

Per piacere / Per favore - please

(Mille) grazie - thank you

Vorrei del vino bianco. - to drink i would like some wine

Questo non è ciò che ho ordinato. - thats not what i ordered

Cameriere! - waiter

Posso avere il conto, per favore? - can i have the bill please

Vorrei vedere il menu, per favore. - i would like to see the menu please

Qual è il prezzo? - what is the price

Dov'è la stazione più vicina? - where is the train station

Il mio nome e' Jennifer. - my name is jennifer

Io ho 24 anni. - i'm 24 years old

Io sono inglese. - i am english

Come va? / Piacere. - how do you do / nice to meet you

Non mi sento bene. - i feel unwell
















Additional photos below
Photos: 356, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb