St. Peter's: be sure to wear pants


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 21st 2004
Published: June 21st 2004
Edit Blog Post

Blue pants!Blue pants!Blue pants!

Don't leave your home without them ... or you can't get into the Basilica.
St. Peter's Basilica. Who knew they were so strict on the dress code?! Chris, my travel partner, showed up in shorts. Bad idea ... we don't want to piss off the pope. So, he bought a pair of ugly blue warmup pants for 10 euros from a lady outside the gate. He was all in blue! Fortunately we were able to make it inside. The basilica is one of the most amazing structures you'll ever encounter. You feel dwarfed by the vast space above you. The sculptures and paintings fill you with awe. Amazing! But, the inside of the Basilica was not as beautiful as the view we climbed to ... we climbed 320 steps to the top of the cupola. What an incredible view of the city!
We slept one more night in Rome and left for Florence on Tuesday. Since we're trying to squeeze in Croatia, we've planned a crazy day of site-seeing. Actually, only about 6-7 hours of Florence to be exact.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Climbing to the CupolaClimbing to the Cupola
Climbing to the Cupola

Man, I was tuckered out by that climb, but it was well worth it.
View from the CupolaView from the Cupola
View from the Cupola

Wow! What an incredible city!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb