ROME


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 17th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived early to Rome.
This is our 9 hour tour with a Private Guide named Max.
He took very good care of us today as the temperatures hit 40C.
This was a GREAT day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Free potable waterFree potable water
Free potable water

There are many water fountains all over Rome. We replenished with water very frequently.
Our first stopOur first stop
Our first stop

We are standing in front of the Circus Maximus which is the largest ancient stadium in Rome.
Piazza NavonaPiazza Navona
Piazza Navona

Our tour guide Max introduced us to the local cuisine. We had pizza. We were given a complimentary glass of wine after our meal. ( I think because Max knows the owner)
Fontana dei Fiumi (Fountain of Rivers) Fontana dei Fiumi (Fountain of Rivers)
Fontana dei Fiumi (Fountain of Rivers)

This fountain was very beautiful. The Navona square had many artists with beautiful works of art. Heather bought an magnificent oil painting at Navona Square.
Fountain of RiversFountain of Rivers
Fountain of Rivers

It stands in front of Saint Agnese Church. According to legend, St. Agnes was stripped naked, but miraculously saved from disgrace by extraordinary growth of hair.
Navona square again...Navona square again...
Navona square again...

It is one of Rome's liveliest squares, with many outdoor cafes, restaurants and night clubs in the neighborhood.
Max and BrightonMax and Brighton
Max and Brighton

Max (our tour guide) and Brighton are standing at the 3 mile marker to the center of Roma; near the Catacombs. We were not allowed to take picture inside the catacombs but they were dreary and very full of crypts. Kind of creepy!!!
ColosseumColosseum
Colosseum

The Colosseum is very large and very packed full of tourists. The line to get in was probably over an hour wait, and even though Max could get us in without waiting in line, we had so much more to see, we did not go in.
Another Colosseum shot.Another Colosseum shot.
Another Colosseum shot.

It is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire.
The beautiful Trevi Fountain.The beautiful Trevi Fountain.
The beautiful Trevi Fountain.

Trevi Fountain. We took a coin in our right hand and threw it over our left shoulder to wish for love, health and happiness. Max took us to his favorite gelato place here. The gelato was delicious.
Rome/Vatican City Border Line.Rome/Vatican City Border Line.
Rome/Vatican City Border Line.

We are standing in front of the border between Rome and the Vatican City. In the far background to the right is a Swiss Guard who is guarding the Vatican City. We were not allowed to cross the white boarder line!
Vatican City - Vatican City -
Vatican City -

We did this visit on a Sunday so the Vatican City was closed to the public. It is an amazing place, with many beautiful statues and columns to protect. Really interesting!!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb