When in Rome, do as Romans do


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 14th 2006
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

ColossalColossalColossal

...but the G has it covered
Walking the streets of Rome, amidst some of the most ancient landmarks on earth, dating back to when the big man, JC, walked the earth is almost implausible. Rome is without a doubt one of the coolest cities I have ever visited...

Highs
1. After drinking a few bottles of wine in the late night shadows of the Colosseum, our short cut back to our hostel through an evidently locked garden, saw us cornered by a group of aggressive Italiano Polizia. When we made a hasty decision to run for it, they called for back up and covered the only other exits. Somehow we were able to keep our composure, and were able to successfully evade them.

2. The pub crawl we did on Thursday night was so good we did it again on (Very) Good Friday. Both nights are a mere blur, but based on photographic evidence all of us did our country proud. They say, “When in Rome, do as Romans do”… we did just that.

3. Spending three nights with Kumar at Freestyler, which was by far the best form of hostel living we have encountered. The chubby Indian embraced us Aussies, and the love
InsideInsideInside

... but it has a better surface than Telstra Dome
we brought (back) to his hostel.

4. I suppose the absolute magnificence of the city deserves a mention. From the Colosseum, to the Trevi Fountain, to the Eternal Flame. Throw in the Diesel Store - the hub of style, the true meaning of fashion, and above all, the key to successful living, and it would be fair to say Rome has it all.

5. Visiting the Vatican City, a country on its own. Boy did I feel Catholic after leaving that place. Marveling at the worlds greatest collection of art, particularly from that of Micky and Raph was something I can now say I have done. The insistences of security to demand no photos were taken of their work, and then our persistence to ignore their insistence, were also patent highlights.


Lows
1. Paying what seemed to be a reasonable price to jump the horrendously long queue to enter into the Vatican - only to find out we probably got a little ripped off.

2. Mixing with the Septic Tanks (or, Yanks) has made me wipe America from any future travel itinerary. Simply having to listen to the sh*t these loud and proud Americans speak.
St.PetersSt.PetersSt.Peters

The epi-dome of Catholicism
The verbal torture is just too much to handle.

3. Posting a postcard. The time and effort required to do such a simple task was costly insanity.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Strutting aboutStrutting about
Strutting about

Walking towards something else historic
The Golden GlowThe Golden Glow
The Golden Glow

The ever-present golden glow from my head is even more obvious (than usual) in this picture
Making a wish at the TreviMaking a wish at the Trevi
Making a wish at the Trevi

My wish was that this computer was faster
The Roman ClothThe Roman Cloth
The Roman Cloth

Fashionists
The Roman CrawlThe Roman Crawl
The Roman Crawl

Made for fun times
Freestyler HostelFreestyler Hostel
Freestyler Hostel

The Big Man loved the Aussie way


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb