ITALY Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 28th 2010
Published: October 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After the Middle East, Rome was very easy. We went at a slower pace. Mum and dad had told me that they like Rome because of the atmosphere. I can’t put words to it but I understand what they mean. Again, “..it’s the serenity luv”. I loved it too. We walked a lot and saw little and big Piazzas with nice shops, cafes and people just meeting or walking. We stayed in an apartment on the second floor in an old building and I liked that. It was opposite the Pantheon, a big old round building which is a Church, and has a piazza and a fountain out the front.

We went on a tour to the Vatican city, saw the Cistine Chapel with Michaelangelo’s famous paintings on the roof. The Vatican is a seperate city to Rome and I stood on the border with one foot in the Vatican City and one foot in the City of Rome. Saint Peter's Basilica is an amazing building. There are letters around the inside of the dome of the Basilica and they are 12 feet high. They don’t look it from the ground and that is because the place is so big. I stood on a spot in the Piazza at the front of St Peter’s Basilica and saw the 4 rows of columns all lined up behind each other so that it seems as though there is only one row of columns.
Other places we went to were the Colosseum, Piazza Navona, a big Piazza with 3 large fountains, market stalls and artists. The Trevi fountain was great with lots of people there at night. It was noisy and the legend is that you will return if you throw a coin in the fountain and wish that you return to Rome. I’d like to go to Rome again. I liked the food and the people in Rome and also that there were lots of shops with Soccer jumpers and caps.

We also met friends from Melbourne, Pauline, Celia and Tessa. We had dinner with them and that was a special occasion for all of us as we swapped stories about our travels.
One day we took a fast train to Naples and then to Pompeii to see the excavations of the city after the volcano at Mt Vesuvius poured out over it. We took a very fast train back to Rome and at times it travelled more than 150 kmh.
....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Just being togetherJust being together
Just being together

"How's the serenity luv?"
PompeiPompei
Pompei

A lot of ruins - some restored


4th October 2010

fantastic!!!
Sounds like you are all having a fantastic time, and we here in Geelong are enjoying you're blogs........ Stay happy, stay safe, Love Sue

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb