Vatican City


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 8th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

St PetersSt PetersSt Peters

Inside
Eight am...hopped on the metro and headed across Rome for a 9:30 am tour of the Vatican. Our tour guide was great, a young guy from...Napa, Valley, California ;-) No translations needed. The tour was 3 1/2 hours and we really had to keep moving along just to be able to see the most important works and rooms of the Vatican, Vatican Museums, St. Peters and the Sistine Chapel. Looking up always as the beauty many times is in the ceilings. Lots of walking, loads of tourists but well worth the time. We were told to bring a scarf to cover up our heads in the churches but... times have certainly changed. We have not been in one church in Greece, Spain, Turkey or Italy, large or small, urban or rural where that was even necessary nor customary any more. This included St. Peters and the Sistine Chapel too.

We were whipped after the tour so stopped for lunch afterwards at a shady little sidewalk cafe and had...you guessed it... pasta ;-) The shade felt good as it's been very hot here but we are glad to be done with the rain and cold for awhile.

We headed back to the metro and home again to the Holiday Inn Express south of Rome. And, of course, once again, a cold pizza snack for dinner! Tomorrow it's back on the trains for a short trip to Florence for a few days.

Advertisement



8th June 2010

HEY!
HEY!!! A plate of spaghetti!!! Now THERE'S something you don't see everyday in California! Wow, St. Peter's is fabulous. I hope you took 1,000 pictures. DON'T FORGET TO BUY ME AN UMBRELLA IN FIRENZA!!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb