Day 15 - Rome and the Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 20th 2009
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we visited the Vatican with a tour of the Vatican Museums, Raphael rooms, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Square; followed by a walk through St Peter’s Basilica and the Crypts.

The tour through the Vatican is just one amazing piece of art, architecture and history after another. It is room after room of sheer opulence which was never designed for the enjoyment of anyone other than the Pope, and was John Paul II who did the most to make the Museums accessible to the public. Once you have made it through the Museums including a room of tapestries which are hung in the Sistine Chapel only during conclave, you make it to the Raphael Rooms. These rooms which are amazingly painted are were a reception room, bedroom and dining room of one of the previous Popes.

During the early part of the tour our guide talked through the Sistine Chapel’s frescos, also explaining that the attendants in the chapel would be ensuring everyone kept quiet. Also he explained that due an agreement between The Vatican and Nippon for the cost of cleaning the Sistine Chapel no photography would be allowed.

When we finally entered the Sistine Chapel, I was a little disappointed. I have been looking forward to seeing the Sistine Chapel since I was a kid, so this was one of the big locations I wanted to see during this trip. Don’t get me wrong, the art is amazing and I appreciated it, but I was disappointed as it was just another tourist location without the feel of a chapel. It just felt like a big room with amazing art and way too many tourists (like us). The no-photograph rule was forgotten enforcing this feeling.
Once we exited the Sistine Chapel, our tour finished with a visit to St Peter’s Square. It was here that our tour ended.

We then made our way into the basilica and once again were amazed by what we found. The Basilica is huge with amazing sculpture and art at every turn. Just inside the entrance is Michelangelo’s Pieta which is kept behind glass. This sculpture is beautiful. We continued through the Basilica finding saints, popes and chapels; each more amazing than the last. Many Popes and Saints are entombed in the Basilica proper, as well as the crypts.

On exiting the Basilica we ventured down into the Crypt below the Basilica. Here is entombed many Popes, a Swedish Queen and the Tomb of St Peter. Before we reached St Peter’s Tomb we pass the simple tomb of the last Pope, John Paul II which is a simple grey marble with 4 or 5 bronze roses on it. Tombs of other Popes seemed more elaborate. We moved through the crypts and finally back to the sunlight.

We passed the Vatican Post office and decided to send a few Postcards from the smallest country in the world.

By this time it was time for lunch. We then jumped on our tour bus and headed for the Spanish steps. The steps are a hub for tourists with a lovely fountain at the base. I climbed the steps while Lynn waited in the shade. Given the effort o climb the steps I am happy I did it, but think Lynn probably made a good call to wait in the shade.

We caught the Metro back to the hotel where I had a nasty experience. As we got on the train with the crowd, an Eastern European looking woman pickpocket had my wallet half way out of my pocket before I caught her. She was an expert and well prepared for the task with a scarf over her hands to shield what she was trying to do. She looked very pregnant, but also looked too old to be. I didn’t make a scene given I stopped the theft and considered that it would not of helped, just gave her a nasty look. She quickly went to the next door in the train car and got off at the next station, probably to scope out her next victim. I consider myself lucky and fortunately I always feel by wallet and keep it in a front pocket.

On our last evening in Rome, we took a guided tour of the city by night. Most of the main ruins and monuments are illuminated and make for a great sight. Our tour guide was informative and interesting and the monuments take on a different perspective at night.

Tomorrow afternoon we will be taking the train to Florence.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb