When in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jennie and EmJennie and EmJennie and Em

Eating lunch outside the Colosseum
Emily + Jennie ---» ROME!

We had arrived and were soooo excited to explore every little bit of Rome! Once again, we couldn't find a couch surfer for Rome, so we decided this time to stick with a hostel. We arrived, found a nice little hostel close to town and settled in quickly. Threw our bags on our beds, got information about how to visit Rome in just a few days, and ventured off on our own! We were shaking with excitement and we could already tell this would be up there on our list of favourites, or maybe most shocking. We had 2 nights at this hostel and wanted to get the most out of it that we possibly could.

After chucking down our massive bags into our hostel, we took a tram right into town. Our first stop, the amazing Colosseum. Wow! We got off the tram and walked right into it, I guess it's pretty difficult to miss. This was unbelievable. We had picked up lunch along the way, so we parked ourselves on the grass outside the Colosseum to take in the view and enjoy the beautiful day. We had some crackers, cheese and salami while sitting in complete shock, staring off in the distance. We were sitting staring at this massive Colosseum but yet off in the distance, you could see endless ruins. Was this actually real? Were we here? We finished off our lunch and headed in. The Colosseum was built by Emperor Vespasian in 72 AD and finished by his son Titus in 80 AD.. and WE were standing in it. There were about 3 or 4 floors, and we were allowed for explore 2 of them. All we could do was try to visualize what the arena would have been like in it's day. It was gorgeous! Off in the distance, we could see the Arch of Constantine. After spending hours around the Colosseum, we wandered down the streets of Rome.. ROME.. to find some more amazing buildings. Our next stop was the Pantheon. This was the best preserved building of it's time and where Raphael's tomb was held. After walking around with our mouths open and our necks up, we found the Fountana dei Quattro Fiumi. We sat and watched some entertainment from the 'statue' people. These are the guys dressed up and standing still for hours, we don't know how they do it. We tried to wake ourselves up and realize where we were, and what we had already seen. It was beginning to get dark at this point and we ventured on to find the Trevi Fountain. It was perfect timing because the gorgeous fountain was lit up at night and was surrounded, by what it seemed, hundreds of people. We threw two coins into the fountain, as tradition. The first to wish another trip back to Rome in the future. The second for a wish of our own. It was getting pretty late so we decided to start heading back. Rome was ridiculously expensive so we decided not to eat in town, but to just get a cheap bottle of vino and head to the Colosseum to have views in the night time. While walking back, we wandered down small little stone brick roads to see everyone else eating their amazing meals.. a little jealous to say the least. But hey, we were in Rome! ROME! We made it to the Colosseum once again, cracked open our vino and sat in silence, loving life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Bottom of ColosseumBottom of Colosseum
Bottom of Colosseum

This is where the people and animals were before battles or shows. They had all these crazy ways to bring them up from underground.


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb